108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Polyserve File Serving Data Encryption

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Donatelli
Occasional Contributor

Polyserve File Serving Data Encryption

Does anyone know if Polyserve Matrix Server/file Shares supports any kind of encryption. I can't seem to find a way to encrypt file share data.
Thanks,Gary
4 REPLIES 4
macosta
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Polyserve File Serving Data Encryption

Hi Gary,

The underlying filesystem (PSFS) does not support encryption. You can place encrypted files on the filesystem, of course, but not on-the-fly as with NTFS.
Gary Donatelli
Occasional Contributor

Does this mean a client encryption software of some type can be used to encrypt files as they are created and stored and then unencrypted when they are taken off?
I beleive there are serer based tools like this which allow clients to access encrypted files. Is this the type of encryption you are referring to?

Thanks,
macosta
Trusted Contributor

I'm not aware of any product specifically that would handle encryption/decryption for file-serving purposes.

If you have an application that handles the encryption/decryption of files, it could certainly store the files on the Polyserve share, but the Polyserve software doesn't handle the encryption/decryption itself.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

THe polyserve filesystem does not support either encryption or compression since it is a multinode filesystem. It has all of the standard NTFS APIs for accessing files but you cannot encrypt, compress or defragement a polyserve filesystem.

You can place encrypted files on them like a zip file with a password but the OS does not encrypt the files.