Storage Software
1753650 Members
5959 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Polyserve and san storage

Razar

Polyserve and san storage

I have a ps cluster on a private SAN with some clustered storage. 2 storage controllers, 4 paths on each controller, both serving up the same volumes (active active). Each linux host has a single FC path to the san.

Each host in a perfect world see's 8 paths to each lun.

Then....a storage controller fails.
Controller gets replaced (diff WWN)
The linux hosts now see the available devices in /proc/scsi/scsi however polyserve will not use them. They show up as "Importable" devices but essentially they are the same but with a different path. Will performing the import function wipe everything out? or is there a config change I need to make somewhere for polyserve to use these paths again?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Polyserve and san storage

Hi,
here is the polyserve manuals page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=US&prodSeriesId=3435148&prodTypeId=18964&refresh=true
the pain is one part of the reality
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

some additional info:
could you check the matrix.log and matrix server service event.log for possible messages on the path problems pls?
Razar

I've tried that page and for whatever reason HP is "very sorry" and "The page you requested can not be found."

Ya got another link I can try??

In the meantime, here's some additional info....

When I try to perform a "sandiskinfo" I get the following error:
:ERROR:Unable to collect vendor data for /dev/psd/psd4 due to device open error: Operation not permitted.

It's obviously looking down a path that no longer exists due to the controller swap that needs to be updated.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Here is the hp polyserve matrix server admin guide link:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01519283/c01519283.pdf
Razar

Thank you, that link worked....I'll start reading.
Razar

not a single error in matrix.log
been reading the manual....I don't see any "warnings" about importing disks. However, it doesn't make any mention about them being identical disks on a different path.

In the SAN maintenance section it describes swapping out switches but nothing about storage controllers

I'm leaning down the path of "mx config mp" so far...
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Maybe Matrix server only has detected/named (globaly unique name)the disks as a new disks or something like that. Thats why one thing is to try to rename them with the previous names, or simply import the disks into the Matrix servers:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/real_application_clusters_rac_grid/polyserve_cfs.htm