108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RSM vs. SSSU

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Reed
Occasional Advisor

RSM vs. SSSU

Hi, I'm looking for some general advice on which method to use for making routine, scheduled snapclones/snapshots on a nightly basis. I had intended to use SSSU, but had an associate recommend RSM instead (I have RSM 1.1). The docs make it appear that RSM has a need to have host agents installed to operate, even if i am just making snaps on the back-end. Is this true? If so, I would see that as a reason NOT to use RSM. What are you guys using to automate this kind of task?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: RSM vs. SSSU

Keith,

you can do many operations inside jobs without the need for host agents, for example: it is possible to do a virtual disk presentation without any HAs.

I have done an RSM setup for a workshop tomorrow, but the environment uses HAs and, forgive me, but I don't want to make any changes to try one of the more advanced functions just before the event ;-)
Honestly, I don't remember any of these functions or paramaters and I have already left the office.

What I like about RSM is that you can implement some kind of error handling with conditional branches. You also have a nice history of each job's run.
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Re: RSM vs. SSSU

Hi,

we had used SSSU in OpenVMS and had to implement our own porcedures for error handling. After that we were satisfied with it.

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)