Storage Software
1752277 Members
4730 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SQL Server Port Number required to Connect

Martin J Kelly

SQL Server Port Number required to Connect

I'm running 3.6.2 and am having a problem connecting to my SQL Server Instances unless I also hardcode the port number each is using. Any idea what I've done wrong?
5 REPLIES 5
macosta
Trusted Contributor

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure what else you were expecting. SQL Server expects a host\instance or host,port# spec. If you want to use hostname (or IP) and instance name, you may need to enable the Polyserve SQL Browser.

If you run into further issues, it may be worth opening a case with support to determine is something else is causing an issue here.
Martin J Kelly

Here's what I have.
2 SQL 2000 Instances. One I can access via "Virtual SQL Server\Instance Name" and the other I can only access via "Virtual SQL Server\Instance Name, Port".

They are both on the same Host.

We've been using PolyServe for about 4 years now and to this point have not had to add the Port number. We're moving to 3.6.2 and both of these Instances are new.
Tammy Lawson
Advisor

We have had a similar issue here that has started occurring for one of our developers - he can connect to some instances just fine without a port (ones that use an alias) but he has had to start specifying the port for others. I trained them early on to use the port for the apps so atleast I am okay there for now. Up until a month or so ago he did not have issues. We are currently at 3.6.1 but will be upgrading to 3.6.2 soon. The only other recent changes to our environment, was upgrading to HP support pack 8.3 from 8.2 (for our HP blades). I had my suspicions it was from that but I am unsure.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

are any of the instances using the default port number and some are not ?
Charlotte Bentley
Occasional Advisor

I am having fits with this problem running 4.0. I can connect by instance name from some machines, but not others. Even the same machine will connect by name sometimes, but require the port # another time. I do have PolyServe Instance Aliasing service running. I have the same mess if I stop the PS IA service and run with MS SQL Server Browser service instead. Any suggestion for how to investigate this would be greatly appreciated.