108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSSU and scripting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Fee
Advisor

SSSU and scripting

Having an interesting time trying to automate an SSSU task.

Currently running SSSU 6.0 build 34

Had been running SSSU 4 until recently.
When you start the SSSU prompt it immediately prompts you for a manager, username and password in succession.

When I use the SSSU FILE command and run as a batch file, it does not seem to recognize the first line which is my SELECT MANAGER, USERNAME, PASSWORD line which use to work fine.

So, batch file containes sssu "FILE sssu1.txt" >>test.txt

SSSU1.txt contains

SELECT MANAGER systemname USERNAME=username PASSWORD=password (generic for security)
SELECT SYSTEM hsvname
LS disk_groups

I get this in test.txt
NoSystemSelected> FILE sssu1.txt
NoSystemSelected> SELECT SYSTEM systemname
Error: command not valid until a manager is selected (SELECT MANAGER)

As you can see from above, the 1st line in the text contains a select manager statement

Any ideas?

Thanks

Larry Fee

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to HP Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU). -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Larry,

I think this is due to the authentication changes that happened in version 6.

The username and password you need are the one used to log in to Command View EVA on your Management Appliance. This is different to previous versions...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Larry Fee
Advisor

Rob

I am using that account, but it does not seem to want to take that. The account is a member of the local HP Storage Admins group.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that the file looks good. I have this at the very first line:

set option on_error=continue

Try running:

sssu "file sssu1.txt"
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Larry Fee
Advisor

I now get "Username must be specified on SELECT MANAGER", which of course it is, unless my account syntax is incorrect
Brian Hope
Frequent Advisor

What version of CV are you using? Also if you haven't tried using the IP address instead of the DNS name try that. I had a simular problem where only the IP address would work
Another Thing I noticed is you are using SELECT SYSTEM try using SELECT CELL hsvname.
Larry Fee
Advisor

same version of cv. 6 build 34

I will try the ceel and IP and get back to you

THanks
Urban Petry
Valued Contributor
Solution

Larry,

you could try two more things:
1) quote the username and password like this (are there any special characters in your user name?):

SELECT MANAGER [SMA] USERNAME="[SMAUSER]" PASSWORD="[SMAPASSWORD]"

2) if the user is a domain account, try it without the domain part, e.g. for "domain\user" just use "user"

Just to make sure: when you start sssu interactively and are prompted for sma, user and password, you can successfully connect? And the exact same three pieces of information don't work when used in a SELECT MANAGER statement?

Urban
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

hi larry,

i make such a lot thing├В┬┤s on our 4 EVA storages with the SSSU tool (backup, find vdisk├В┬┤s, a.s.o).
write this lines in a bash (other whatever) script:

#!/bin/bash
WORKDIR=
CVE=
EVA=
USER=
PASS=
OUTFILE=
${WORKDIR}/sssu "select manager ${CVE} username=${USER} password=${PASS}" "select system ${EVA}" "ls disk_groups" "exit" >> ${WORKDIR}/${OUTFILE}
exit 0

regard├В┬┤s
Larry Fee
Advisor

Urban

Your the man - no special characters in password or username (the user guide mentions this but I overlooked it), but the quotes did the trick - much thanks to everyone

1st time using this forum - certainly not the last

Larry