108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSUS scripting & EVA disk location.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Lawrence_1
Occasional Advisor

> (This implies you need a minimum of 8 shelfs)

Indeed. I have 12 shelves.. :)

I haven't actually progressed with this any since I wrote the original request. I never really *did* get to find what I was looking for, and put it on the back burner for a while. Thanks for the response though.

Steve.
Steve Lawrence_1
Occasional Advisor

>The only thing you can do about that is keep track of the location of the drives and place each drives of an RSS in another shelf.

Oky, I read this through again, and this is *exactly* what I was trying to do. I have raid sets, striped down the enclosures, and I would like to ensure that I do *not* have two drives in the same shelf.

I was hoping I could get the information on which shelf/enclosure each drive was in, so I don't get into the pickle described above.

I know it *can* be done. I've seen an HP Engineer run something which does precisely this, but after enquiring about the tool it turns out it was an internal thing that he can't give away - or somesuch.

Steve.
Erwin van Londen
Valued Contributor

Steve,

If your running firmware 3010 or higher and you have Command View EVA you can locate those drives.

If you give me your email adress I can send you a little tools which you can run. If you send the output back to me I can generate a nice looking html file.

Regards,
Erwin van Londen
HP Master ASE SAN Architect.
https://erwinvanlonden.net
Erwin van Londen
Valued Contributor

I ment Command View EVA 3.1
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Erwin,

There is there any way you can post the software and what you do to make it look pretty?
Erwin van Londen
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I cannot post the software. Again an HP Internal tool. Legal restrictions apply.

Erwin van Londen
Steve Lawrence_1
Occasional Advisor

*chuckle*

Is this internal tool available to buy?

Either way. steve.lawrence@comcast.net is my e-mail address. I'd be grateful for any help regarding this.

Steve.
Erwin van Londen
Valued Contributor

This tool is not on the market. It was designed for documentation purposes for internal labs. Maybe if the customers ask there HP representative often enough they will ship it. I don't know.
Sorry I cannot provide you with it.

Regards
Erwin van Londen
Steve Lawrence_1
Occasional Advisor

>Maybe if the customers ask there HP representative often enough they will ship it.

They won't. I've asked my TAM, and his response is inline with your own. It's an 'internal' tool, and we cannot provide it to you.

Which quite frankly, sucks.

I actually care less about the tool. If it were available I'd buy it. If it's not, I'm sufficiently versed in programming to be able to extract the data and write my *own* tool. However, I can't find a way to *get* that data - even though it quite clearly exists. Documentation is sparse at best.

If I understand correctly, the 'extraction of data' is something which *is* available - the tool you spoke of to create the binary file?

What *isn't* available is the tool used to map that data into a pretty representation of the EVA. Am I correct?

You mentioned that I could run a tool you could provide, e-mail you the results and from that get a pretty html map? Is this still the case?

Steve.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor
Solution

Steve,

If all you want is to know the disks
location, you can indeed divine that from
the looppair and loopID. On our (12 shelf)eva the following formula works, I don't know if they are all wired up the same way:

bay=mod(loop_id,14)+1
enclosure=7*loop_pair-loop_id/14+1
(integer arithmetic)

I wrote a command procedure which reads the output of sssu "show disk full" and creates
an sssu script to rename all the disks in the
array to sensible names reflecting location.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.