Storage Software
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does SSSU WAIT_FOR_COMPLETION option wait for?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sheldon Smith
Honored Contributor

What does SSSU WAIT_FOR_COMPLETION option wait for?

The Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU) reference guide mentions a "WAIT_FOR_COMPLETION" option for the (among others) ADD COPY, ADD SNAPSHOT and DELETE VDISK commands.

I am looking at doing a backup of a database by building around the following sequence:
i) pause database
j) ADD SNAPSHOT NOWAIT_FOR_COMPLETION
k) resume database
l) sleep to allow snapshots to complete

Questions: What are the snapshots waiting for?
If NOWAIT_FOR_COMPLETION is specified with the ADD COPY or ADD SNAPSHOT commands, is the snapshot not valid when the command returns?
Will the snapshots be a consistent picture of the database after step "k" or not?

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!
1 REPLY
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: What does SSSU WAIT_FOR_COMPLETION option wait for?

The WAIT/NOWAIT reffers to the SAN appliance, and if you can use the Appliance while this activity is occuring.

If you issue the WAIT, and it takes one hour to complete... you will not be able to do anything else with your Appliance/EVA while it is waiting for this command to complete.

We rapidly learned to use the NOWAIT This allows for other activities to occur while your process(es) is running in the background.
VMS SAN mechanic