4796 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sssu host agent

juan ramos_1
Advisor

sssu host agent

Hi all
I am a little confused about sssu and host agent, what can host agent do that sssu can't?
when should I use sssu en when host agent,

thanks for any help
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

SSSU (Storage System Scripting Utility) is a user-level command line interface to an EVA storage agent.

A 'host agent' is a piece of software that is installed on a server to provide certain functionality. There are *many* different host agents for different purposes.

Products that provide host agents are, for example: OpenView Storage Area Manager or Business Copy EVA.

As you can see, SSSU and HA have completely different purposes.
juan ramos_1
Advisor

Thanks UWe for your fast response. In my case I have host agent for BC eva.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, the BC-EVA HA is obviously not a replacement for SSSU and it depends on the BC server. It is the BC server (or SSSU or CV-EVA) that is used to initiate a snapshot or snapclone. The HA is just there to, e.g. report mounted filesystems to the BC server or carry out the command from the BC server to mount any disks that have been presented to the host.

Best thing is if you can experiment a little with SSSU and BC.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Juan,

SSSU is your CLI (command line interface) to Commandview/EVA. Everything you can do on the GUI youcan do on the SSSU CLI. SSSU is installed on the servers hooked up to the EVA BUT it communicates withthe SMA (appliance where the COmmandView software is installed).

Hostagent is totally DIFFERENT from SSSU. They're agents for products like Storage Area Manager or Path Connectivity to allow portrayal and inventory of storage components on the server where the agent is installed. Things like performance, LUNS, HBA, filsystems and volume management info can be collected by the management station.

Hakuna Matata.
Martin Bourque
Occasional Advisor

A good use of the sssu is for snapshots for backups. We use Oracle and need 24 x 7 operation so I have a script that uses the sssu to do everything for me. The script puts Oracle in hotbackup mode (or shuts it down for cold backups), uses the sssu to do the snapshots on our SAN, brings Oracle back up, again uses the sssu to present the snapshots to the backup server, mounts the snapshots, then kicks off the backups. Minimum downtime and I can do backups at my convenience rather than the users'. The database used to be down for hours for cold backups, now it's down for a few minutes on Sunday.
juan ramos_1
Advisor

thanks all for your answers,but could you tell me more about host agent for bussiness copy , happen that i can't find much information about it.
Steven Bourdon

Juan,

IT sounds like you've got your Oracle backups scripted fairly well through SSSU.

Our site is just beginning to work with SSSU with the same intentions. We would like to setup scripts for both hot and cold backups.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share some of your scripts? Having something to work from would help us out immensely.

Kind regards,

Steve