4665 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1200s - closing open files

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA952206

1200s - closing open files

Is it possible to close/disconnect open files on the 1200s? I couldn't see a way in the administrative guide. We have a SNAP server currently and the only way to do this is to reboot the box which is incredibly disruptive.
-Adam
4 REPLIES 4
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes, you can do this.

1) Connect to the server console. You can use Remote Desktop / Terminal Services, the ILO, or use a KVM plugged into the console.

2) Right-click on My Computer and choose "Manage".

3) In Computer Management, open the "Shared Folders" option (click on the "+" in the corner, or double-click on the "Shared Folders" option).

4) Left-click on the "Open Files" folder.

5) In the right-hand pane, you will see all the open files. In the right-hand pane, right click on the file you want to close, and choose the first option "Close Open File".

6) Repeat step 5 for each file you want to close.

Alternatively, you could take a share offline (i.e. turn off or delete the share), and that will break all the client connections to that share. (But this will only be easy to do if you used the file system permissions -- ACLs -- to enforce your security. If you are using the shares to enforce your security, this would not be a good option -- because you would have to write down or in some other way keep track of all the security permissions, so that you could put them all back.)
CA952206

Interesting. So you're saying that the NAS 1200s has some sort of desktop interface like a regular Windows server does?
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it does have a desktop interface.

(Note: I was in error earlier when I mentioned an ILO. The ILO is only on the other NAS Products -- the 2000s, 4000s, 9000s. Not on the 1200s.)

If you were to plug a keyboard, mouse, and monitor into it, or if you were to connect via Remote Desktop/Terminal Services, you would see a login screen and typical Windows Server 2003 interface (after a successful login, of course).

You may use the Web UI, or the above methods, to manage the server. You are not *required* to use any specific management interface (among the supported options).
CA952206

Outstanding, thank you.