StoreEasy Storage
1748089 Members
4962 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 64-bit WSS iSCSI

Tripp Davis

64-bit WSS iSCSI

is it possible to get? I now have 7 of these AiO1200r boxes, all of which came with WSS2003R2. The problem is all have come with 32-bit. Because of issues replicating a few hundred million files between these boxes using Double-Take where we run out of kernel memory, I've had to replace with 64-bit Windows & forgo iSCSI for CIFS. But now I need iSCSI, and I don't see how to get it from HP. The tech support guy told me that 'they used the same binaries,' which is incorrect. I've tried installing 32-bit iSCSI on 64-bit, and it says I must install the 64-bit.

where do i get 64-bit, or is it even possible?
Depending on how you look up these boxes on HP's site, you can sometimes see 64-bit stuff, sometimes 32-bit. Does anyone know if Dell ships with 64-bit? it's frustrating beyond belief.
9 REPLIES 9
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tripp,

Sorry this has been so frustrating.

Please see the following link: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/storage_servers/index.html

All of these servers run 64-bit. The HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Storage Server and HP ProLiant High Availability Storage Server both come with the 64-bit version of the Wndows unified Data Storage Server 2003 Enterprise OS (WUDDS). WUDDS comes with iSCSI target software included.

For the other 3 servers, they run 64-bit Windows Storage Server 2003 Release 2. However, these 3 servers do not come with the iSCSI target software as a default with the OS like with WUDDS. That said, the iSCSI target software is available to be purchased as an add on to these servers that run the standard edition of the WSS OS.

For more info on the Microsoft iSCSI software target add-on, you would view and purchase it at: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ms_iscsi/index.html

Hope that helps.
Thanks,
Monty
Tripp Davis

it actually just makes it even more odd why I keep getting 32-bit?? I have the DL185 G5 that's listed in the table (bought as an AiO1200r). It comes with the iSCSI target & also includes a certificate of authority specifically for the iSCSI target. But all I got was 32-bit. This is consistent -- I've bought 7 of these (2 most recent being DL185 G5, 5 previous being DL320s), all came with the iSCSI target and all 32-bit.

I called HP support, & the guy didn't know. I've called our vendor (CDW) to see what they can find out.

Tripp Davis

here are the details on what I have:
AiO 1200r SATA, product ID: AM527A

came with the following CD: All-in-One Storage System with Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 MUI v.1.4.2. There's a CoA for Microsoft iSCSI Software Target x32/x64, tracking ID: 00039320467562. The system came with 32-bit, and after reading your response, I cleared the RAID configuration and reinstalled everything from the DVD -- same thing, 32-bit with iSCSI target v.3.1 build 3412. Can someone from HP tell me why I never get the 64-bit if that's what I'm supposed to be getting? I cannot use 32-bit. I order from CDW, who from what I've told is the largest HP reseller in the world.
Robert Thompson
Occasional Advisor

Hello Tripp,

The AiO products only use 32-bit Windows Storage Server and there is not a way to change to the 64-bit version of Windows Storage Server using the system restore media. The product you need is the DL185 ProLiant Storage Server with the iSCSI Software Target. For your situation the AG918A + T4433A would be the soluton. With your serial number I coulld make a more refined reccomendation. I am checking with some other people here to see if there is a way to convert your existing systems. Incidentally, current ProLiant Storage Servers are replacing the AiO product line so additional purchases would be PSS boxes. Also look for upcoming product announcements to address your needs.
Robert Thompson
Occasional Advisor

It ocurred to me that you are actually having an issue with SWSM. Can you clarify what problem you are having and what version of SWSM you are using ? We may be able to resolve the root issue for you with a few more details. Incidentally, have you ever contacted HP support ?
Tripp Davis

we're not using SWSM. It's simply an OEM version of Double-Take, and we generally prefer to go directly to the OEM on products that get resold. It was Double-Take support who told us the 64-bit version was our only option, so that's what HP would have told us.

thanks
Tripp Davis

the serial # for the unit we just got (one I'd like to use iSCSI on) is 2ux91009h2.

The other 6, I don't care about. We bought them primarily as cheap mass storage pairs along with a Double-Take license for each. The fact they already came with WSS was just a plus (and got me interested in the iSCSI target), but as I mentioned, we had to dump it for a 64-bit version. We replicate literally hundreds of millions of very small files/dirs between these & DT will choke on kernel memory if you run at 32-bit. They're all CIFS and will remain so.

the current unit was purchased for use as inexpensive iSCSI storage in a VMware environment for development and QA environments we'd rather not put on expensive SAN storage.

That in itself doesn't demand 32-bit, since we're talking relatively few large files. My preference for 64-bit here is cautionary based more on historical precedence -- someone will come to me saying we need to allocate some of this to the types of files mentioned above, and we'll end up with DT issues. We're still growing quickly so our demands can change overnight. Things seem to grow to accomodate whatever we've just purchased. ;)

Robert Thompson
Occasional Advisor

Did DT support provide you with information relating to the SystemPages registry key ? See this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786402.aspx.

When installing DT/SWSM, you should have been prompted about setting ths value to 0 and the prompt specifically indicates that this is to resolve problems relating to running out of kernel memory. The ATI driver that is installed on your storage server sets the value to 0xc3000 at install time. While debugging this a while back I found that setting the value back to 0 did not affect the video performance.

Regardless, the SKU I mentioned above would be your best answer to the 64-bit question that you originally posed.
Matthew Roeske

I'm also looking to install W2K3 R2 x64 but cannot find an easy solution. Our DL185 G5 was shipped with the x32 version of HP All-in-one storage server 2003. I was hoping we'd be able to use smartstart and isntall our basic copy of W2K3 R2 x64 as i dont see why we would need any of the HP Storage server software. Does anyone know how to do this? I dont see why these servers would be locked down that you would HAVE to use the All-In-One install CD's.