StoreEasy Storage
1748150 Members
3617 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AIO 1200 Update to 1.4.3 caused several issues..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

AIO 1200 Update to 1.4.3 caused several issues..

I have two AIO 1200 systems both of which I recently updated to the new 1.4.3 release of ASM. In both cases I have had some issues since this update, but the issues are different between the two.

First a detail of how the systems are configured:

System A: Used at the primary site for File shares and hosts the Exchange Message stores for an Exchange 2007 server. Also runs Microsoft Data Protection Manager to back up additional servers, and runs HP Storage Mirroring as the source server to replicate data offsite.

System B: Is the offsite data server for the HP Storage Mirroring Replication. From the ASM standpoint it has one large share created through the ASM manager that holds all of the data replicated from System A:. No other shares or iSCSI use at this time. Runs HP Storage Mirroring software as the Destination server.

For the most part everything was working fine on both systems prior to updating to 1.4.3. Recently System A developed an issue where the Storage Manager Service would stop responding every few days and I would have to restart this service in order to get the system taking snapshots of the shares. That was my primary reason for updating the software to the 1.4.3 release.

I applied the 1.4.3 update to both systems. On System A, this corrected my original issue, and all shares are showing up properly, and snapshots are taken on a regular basis. However on System A since performing the update to 1.4.3, the AIO Storage Manger screen shows the Exchange data under the "User-Defined" section rather than the Exchange data ni the "Application View". My guess is that this is causing the system to not do the Exchange snapshots properly.

All other features are working just fine.

On System B, after performing the update, the application view no longer shows my Shared folder at all. Additionally attempting to create a new shared folder through the AIO Storage manger interface results in a pop-up window with the following errror:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Also as a side note, on both systems I get an error stating Discovery Failed, however I have already tracked that specific error down to the fact that I am running a newer version of the Storage Mirroring software than what is supported by the AIO Storage Manager application.
7 REPLIES 7
roberttco
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello Jonathan,

I am sorry that you are having problems after the upgrade. I have two questions to start with...

1. Did you upgrade this system from 1.4.2 ? If so did you uninstall 1.4.2 before upgrading ?
2. Are you running SWSM 5.1 ?

The fact that discovery fails on both systems means that you will not see a valid view until discovery can complete correctly. If you upgraded from 1.3 then the underlying discovery code is radically different and it is somewhat expected to see what you are seeing. I have attached a file to this post that will alleviate the problem with SWSM if you are using 5.1. Copy the file to the C:\Program Files\HP\HP All-in-One Storage Manager directory. Rename the file to capabilities.xml. Finally, in the UI, click on the Refresh action. Discovery should complete correctly (you will still have an alert indicating that an incompatible version of SWSM is installed) and the views should be correct. Incidentally we are working to fix the SWSM 5.1 incompatibility.
Please considder assigning points if you value my assistance.
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

Robert,

Yes I am running SWSM 5.1

I did not update from 1.41 to 1.43 I went directly from 1.3 to 1.43, as I saw the warning about uninstalling

The file you have attached definately fixed the issue on both of the two systems. My exchange data now shows up under "Exchange" and I see the "One or more alerts exist" error about the Storage Mirroring software.

And on the backup system I see my
"Mirroring" share under the shared folders now along with the error about the storage mirroring software.

I really appreciate your assistance on this. Do you have any idea on a timeframe for the full support of SWSM 5.1?

Thank you,

Jonathan

roberttco
Frequent Advisor

I don't have a timeframe as of yet. HP is shut down from the 22nd through the 3rd so I wont be able to get back to it until then. Unless you need the new features of 5.1 you can install 5.0.2 from the c:\hpnas\components directory. 5.0.2 is fully supported. Just note that you can not replicate from a newer version of the software to an older version. The license keys should work fine in 5.0.2. If you are using the evaluation key let me know so that I can get you new keys. Also if you do not want to see the alerts there is a comment in the XML file about it. Search for "replication".
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

I'm licensed for it... I don't really need for the storage manager interface to show the StorageMirroring info for my purposes at this time, and I don't really want to "downgrade" from 5.1 to 5.02, so I'll likely just either use the Comment section you mention in the XML file, or ignore the alert until you guys get the support for 5.1 worked out.

Thank you for all of your assistance on this.
Mark Brand
Advisor

Just curious if there's been a fix yet on the above mentioned problem with the Alert and storge mirroring 5.1?
Robert Thompson
Occasional Advisor

I just checked in the code chage to fix the alert so it will be out in a future release. Sorry - I can't say when...
roberttco
Frequent Advisor

Woah - looky there my e-mail address gets posted for the whole world to see.... please don't send me e-mail directly.