6942 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AIO SB600C with SBS 2008 Exchange

Jonathan Haase
Advisor

AIO SB600C with SBS 2008 Exchange

Ok.. New installation old problem...

I am in the process of implementing a new network with an SBS 2008 installation and an AIO SB600C. I am preparing to migrate the Exchange Message store over to the AIO, but as I'm walking through the wizard I get the "GetExchangeInfo" error when it is trying to locate the Exchange Storage Groups.

I know that with the 1.3.0 version of the AIO, this error was caused by a new version of the Microsoft.Exchange.Management.DLL file with Exchange 2007 SP1, however that problem appears to have been corrected with the more current releases.

I am running the 1.5.0 release.
7 REPLIES 7
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Did you install the ASM Agent on the Exchange server ?

Martin
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

Yes.. The ASM Agent is installed, and the necessary firewall ports are open on the 2008 server (in fact I disabled the firewall altogether to ensure it wasn't the cause). Prior to opening the firewall port, I was getting an error stating that it could not communicate with the agent, so I know that the communications there is working correctly.
The specific error that I'm getting is the same one that was caused by this issue:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?ObjectID=c01371967тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3542591&prodTypeId=12169

However that same fix doesn't correct it now with Version 1.50 as they don't copy the Microsoft.Exchange.Management.DLL file in there anymore...
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

Ok... I actually got around that issue. But now I'm on to a new problem...

With the SBS 2008 installation it has you create a "new" administrator account and it actually disables the "builtin" administrator account. The new one supposedly has all the same groups and permissions, however just to try it I enabled the built-in account and used it for the credentials instead of the "new" one. That got me past the GetExchangeInfo error.

Now I get an error creaging the ISCSI LUN.

Failed to configure iSCSI initiator for host:
Unable to perform iSCSI login.

Anyone have any suggestions for that.. (And yes I did try disabling the firewall...)
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

how about going to the Exchange server and check in the Add/Remove Programs to make sure the iSCSI initiator SW is installed ?
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

Yup it's installed... I even made certain that the service is started..
Jonathan Haase
Advisor

Ok, I was able to work around this final issue and get it to work as well.

It took a bit of doing, but it did eventually work.

I enabled trace logging on both the AIO box and on the SBS server so that I could get more detailed diagnostic information about what was going on. When I did this I was able to find the following specific error on the SBS server.
SCSI Log-in failed with exception:
HP.Utility.HPException: The iSCSI target 'iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:AIOSERVEr-SBSSErver.mydomain.local-target' was not found
at HP.KoolAid.Server.Storage.IscsiInitiatorManager.LoginIscsiTarget(String targetIqn, String targetPortalIPAddress, UInt16 targetPortalPortNum, Boolean isPersistent)
at HP.KoolAid.Server.Storage.IscsiInitiatorManager.Login(String targetIqn, String targetPortalIPAddress, Int32 targetPortalPortNum)

While this information basically agreed with the terse error I was getting in the AIO manager, it also confirmed that he problem is on the client side and not the AIO box.

Armed with that knowledge, I opened the iSCSI initiator control panel on the SBS 2008 box and looked at the target discovery. I was able to discover the targe on the AIO server, and when I clicked the logon button there it connected properly. ONce it was connected I went back and re-ran the Exchange Migration wizard, and it completed successfully. I had to go clean up on iSCSI device that it had created on the first unsuccessful attempt, but other than that it all works just fine.

It appears that there is a problem with the ASM agent on SBS 2008 where it is not properly interacting with the iSCSI initiator to get it to log in to the target. Once I manually had it logged into the target everything works just fine.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

glad to hear it, thanks for the update