4795 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AIO600 - RAID-1 LUN Issue

MikeMan
Occasional Contributor

AIO600 - RAID-1 LUN Issue

Hi All.

I have a customer who is using a AIO600 in a C3000 enclosure to host Exchange 2007, SQL 2005, unstructured file data and some VMWare ESX 3.5 LUN's.

In addition to all of this they want to host another low IO application.

They have asked for two LUN's 150GB of RAID-5 which I can create fine, but they also want 60GB off of the RAID-1 set (Where the SQL and Exchange logs are) and the AIO storage manager will not let me pick RAID-1. I get RAID-0 (No array to suit), RAID-1+0 (Again no available array), RAID-5 and RAID-6.

There is 75GB free on the RAID-1 set and I cannot even get a 5GB LUN let alone the 60GB they want.

Has anyone seen this and do they know the fix?

The AIO is runnong 1.3.0 BTW.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

how many disks are in the AiO and how many disks are in use? Any spares? RAID 1+0 need a equal number of disks. If you only got an odd number of disks, you can't use RAID 1+0.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
MikeMan
Occasional Contributor

The config of the AIO is default

2 x 146GB 10k SAS (RAID-1, 30GB OS and 100GB Free)
6 x 146GB 10k SAS (RAID-5, Data volumes)

I have Exchange and SQL logs on the RAID-1 set from the "Host an Exchange Storage Group" and "Host a SQL database" wizards.

However the RAID-1 set is unavailable for use in the "User Defined Application" wizard.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you try to create a new LUN in the array, which contains the OS, right?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
MikeMan
Occasional Contributor

That is correct the RAID-1 set has the 30GB assigned for the OS in 3 volumes I think.

What surprises me is the Exchange and SQL logs are on that array as well, but you cannot put a User Defined LUN there.
David Straw
Valued Contributor

All-in-One Storage Manager doesn't currently have an easy way to select specific storage. The next version will make this much easier. In the meantime, you could manually provision the storage using Array Configuration Utility, Disk Manager, Microsoft iSCSI Target, and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. This is a somewhat lengthy process, which is why All-in-One Storage Manager does a lot to simplify it.

If the application is just local or a shared folder (no iSCSI involved), then it should be a fairly simple thing to accomplish, as you don't have to deal with iSCSI Target and Initiator.

Let me know if you would like more details on how to do this.

David