1752571 Members
4608 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blue screen after applying Blaster patch to NASB2000

Robert_174
Occasional Advisor

Blue screen after applying Blaster patch to NASB2000

has anyone had any difficulties applying the MS blaster patch to "Windows Powered" servers? I have applied the patch to a compaq nasb2000, only to keep getting the BSOD every boot. last known good and safe mode do not work.

last attempt so far has been to boot into recovery mode of an advanced server CD and manually copy the dll's that the patch overwrites out of the uninstall directory to the winnt\system32 and winnt\system32\dllcache directory.

any more ideas out there?
4 REPLIES 4
CA1010055

Rob,

I have the exact same issue and I tried what you have to no avail. The paych has caused more issues then the worm could have.

I am going to ahve to reinatll windows tomorrow as I have no other solution.

If you find anything let me know and likewise,

Damien.
CA1010055

Rob,

The patch creates a registry key which if you have a ERD you can repair with this. I am trying a third party product to get into the registry to remove this key and hope for the best.

Damien.
Robert_174
Occasional Advisor

I gave up in the end, and used the NAS Quick Restore CD's. Even after speaking to HP UK the level 1 support engineer said that it would be quicker to rebuild the box rather than try to analyse any kind of root cause. They did confirm that the patch was okay for the NAS B2000 though.

The rebuild went okay, and it even automatically picked up the storage pools and virtual disks okay afterwards, only needing to run the namespace recovery on the web admin tool. The only issue left was to replace shares and permissions on 4TB of storage - looks like i'll be busy for the next month.
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Was your blue screen due to "cpqvrbus.sys"?

The symptoms you are reporting are consistent with having applied the blaster worm fixes (MS03-026 and MS03-039) while leaving the VR service running. These patches (as well as Service Pack 4 and others) rip the RPC service files out from under the running VR process, which can result in meta-data and data corruption. Once VR metadata is corrupted, your box will blue screen when attempting to access the storage.

There were Customer Advisories released about these two patches, documenting how to properly load and install them. These instructions need to be followed in detail, and step-by-step, or you risk having these same issues occur again.