4548 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Case Sensitive not working

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Crosby

Case Sensitive not working

NAS4000 w/ win2k3, Server Appliance Kit(SFU 2.5), and SR1 patches CD installed.

Enable case sensitivity under the Server for NFS - Server settings section. Create a new NFS mount "test".

Mounting from NFS client works, and case is sensitive (i.e. cannot mount "TEST").

From NFS client... Create new file "ABC", then try to create new file "abc", this does not work. Echo data to file "abc", and data goes to "ABC". Create new directory "DIR", then cd into "dir". This works without regard for case, and should NOT!
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, that is to be expected. NTFS is preserving a file name's case on creation, but lookups are case-insensitive. So you cannot create multiple files which only differ in case.
William Crosby

That would be expected from an NTFS client, but I'm on an NFS client. As per NFS file system rules, and the SFU documentation, I should be able to create files and directories which have names that only differ in case?
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Try stopping/starting nfs service by rebooting or the following commands at the cmd prompt:
C:\net stop nfssvr
C:\net start nfssvr
By the way, the NFS services included with the 4000s are the essentially same ones in SFU 3.5, exception 3.5 has added Unix Utilities and Perl scripting abilities (see NAS forum entry: NAS9000s and SFU.
Let us know if it works!
William Crosby

Tried stopping and starting all related services, and even re-configurating everything in Server for NFS with NO luck.

I have read in other threads that removing the Server Appliance Kit and installing the full SFU 3.5 version resolves the issue, but the documentation with the NAS4000 specifically states that this should NOT be done??

Have gone back to a testlab install of Windows 2000 and SFU 3.0, and all of this works. Something HP broke in the Server Appliance Kit, or MIcrosoft broke in SFU 3.5??
CA1083075
Advisor
Solution

William,

This should fix what you are seeing:

Make sure you have the following policy disabled in Local policy or
domain policy -> Security Options System Objects : Require cases
insensitivity for non-Windows subsystems. Make sure you reboot the machine.

Changing this security policy works great
if you always access these files (i.e. same files that only differ by case)
from the unix side, but there are a few limitations if you access these
files
from the Windows side. The Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=100625 explains it a little more. This is article is from Windows NT 3.1
but it applies to all Windows OS since it has to due with NTFS.

So, ideally you should always access these files from the Unix side.
William Crosby

Monty,

Your fix worked perfectly! This is exactly what I was looking for. Yes, the files are for NFS clients only, since Win32 access would cause major issues.

Thank You very much.
CA1083075
Advisor

Hi William,

Great! I'm glad to hear that did the trick. Thanks for providing feedback on whether it worked or not.
CA1201148

The fix of Monty doesn't work for me on win2k server !
I haven't got -------> System objects: Require case insensitivity for non-Windows subsystems - in Local security policy

For me only work on XP system ...