StoreEasy Storage

Consolidating file servers to a single NAS

Tad Smedes
Occasional Visitor

Consolidating file servers to a single NAS

We recently purchased an X3800 which we have attached to our EVA SAN. I currently have three file all with direct attached storage that I would like to consolidate onto the NAS. Should be easy enough the rub is that my users have hundreds, maybe thousands of shortcuts set up pointing to shares on all three of these fileservers. What I am looking for is a way once I move/copy all the data to the X3800 to present all of the shares with and maintain the format \\servername\sharename as a series of examples I need to maintain the syntax \\fileserver1\acct \\fileserver2\HR but now consolidated on a single NAS. I am looking for suggestions I have an idea that I could set up DFS using the old fileservers and once replication has taken place maybe turn them off and leave the name spaces there, but are there other options?
2 REPLIES 2
Steve E Douglas
Occasional Advisor

Re: Consolidating file servers to a single NAS

One possibility is to move the names and ip addresses from the old servers to the new one. That's only good if the old servers are being turned off or re-purposed.
Tad Smedes
Occasional Visitor

Re: Consolidating file servers to a single NAS

Steve, thanks for the reply. The next quesiton then becomes is there some facility on the X3800 that allows multiple machine names to be set, will this also allow users accessing shares using one machine name to see the shares defined with another machine name which I don't want to happen?

Thanks
Tad