1753511 Members
4916 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL100 rebuild problem

Neil H-Carpenter

DL100 rebuild problem

Hi there

I'm rebuilding a DL100, which I purchased without drives. Having made a search, I notice variations on the same problem appearing - here is my situation:

I am suffering the same issue several others have had; the HP restore DVD saying that it doesn't detect a RAID controller, despite a RAID controller working apparently fine.

I have a ProLiant DL100 Storage Server 1 TB
model 367989-B21. The Adaptec SATA RAID controller is 2410SA firmware Build 7244 (version 4.1-0). I have four identical new 250G drives in place, and have created a Primary and Secondary OS and Data partitions . With or without the partitions the same message is given. I've tried 9G (0,1), 9G (2,3) RAID 1; 12G same. I'm using the HP ProLiant DL100 Quick Restore DVD 4.3 370817-003.

I'm running a DVD drive into an internal IDE port rather than over USB (various comments lead me to belive that the drive is not the problem with DL100s, although I understand that USB drives have been an issue on other servers).

What factors cause this failure? Partions or their lack? Partition numbering? Partitions sizes? Partition naming? Partition status? Other hardware? DVD drivers? Lunar cycles?

Is there a force install? Is there a hardware prep tool (like Compaq SmartStart)?

Things I could try: imaging the DVD on to a USB hardrive. More partition juggling & renaming (the partition numbers start at zero - don't know how to fix that).

The last thread I read that had this problem fixed it with a full replacement (I don't think that is viable in my situation).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
30 REPLIES 30
peyrache
Respected Contributor

hi
what are drive manufacturer ?
seagate or maxtor ? are the mixed or this is the same manufacturer for all 4 drives ?
JYP
Neil Carpenter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your question: They are all identical Seagate Barracudas, purchased together, but not HP parts (the trays for DL100s seem rare, and whilst I have tracked down some original drives in the US it was going to be a long wait). Currently they are set up with three raid partitions; #0 is 12G Primary OS RAID 1; #1 is 12G Secondary OS RAID 1; #2 is 660G+ Data RAID 5. All are Optimum.

I haven't tried to update the RAID controller firmware yet.

I did pull the external SCSI card and put in an Emulex FC HBA, but would expect a different error message if this was causing a problem (it's not loading its BIOS yet, no RAID attached).
peyrache
Respected Contributor

there are an issue with seagate drives and quick restore dvd,drive geometry is different between original maxtor drive who QR dvd has been builded and seagate drive, you need to find maxtor driver or put a larger capaticy in order to have QR working
JYP
Neil Carpenter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Jean-Yves - that's interesting. So the geometry of the hard disks imapacts the QR, even if it's looking for the controller?

When you talk about size, do you mean Primary OS partition size? I have no problem with increasing that, as 12G is probaly too skimpy these days.

I might be able to find two maxtors, but probably not four. Will that cause problems if I try to initialise two discs only?

Thanks again
peyrache
Respected Contributor

you need 4 drives in order QR works
but you can mix up maxtor and seagate if
you get 250G maxtor you must have 500G seagate in order to fix geometry issue
if you have only 250G seagate so order 160G
maxtor and you can create a 630G raid4 for data
hopes it's clear
JYP
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

I tried plugging a drive in directly to the IDE interface on the DL100 motherboard and while I can't remember exactly what issues I experienced, I do know that I couldn't restore the system. I had to buy an HP external caddy (the USB one) and plug it in to the front USB socket (it might have been one of the rear ones but I think it was the front one) for the restore to work successfully.

You can find the HP caddy (model PA509A) on eBay or here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-329227-329245-329227-414365-414367-414368.html

Hope that helps :)
Pierre Christen

Hi all,

Well I seem to have found a gold line of DL100 power users so I am going to try to put my question... Thanks in advance.

1) I am about to purchase a DL100 (NAS1500) but I am missing the trays for the sata drives. Anyone would know if I can install drives without the trays in this unit ? Or have any ideas on the tray part #, searched HP extensively.. obviously not enough...

2) Can I use larger drives, say 500GB or 1TB hard drives ?

3) Can this device be installed with Linux for example ? There is a Win license sticker but I don't have the media.

4) Is that box "almost" like a normal server, or is it so specific, nothing can be done outside of HP's planned usage ??

Wow, lots of questions ?? I guess I am trying not to get stung by a dead duck that will be collecting dust... yet an other one !!

I really appreciate an response to any or all my questions. Thank you in advance.
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

Microgluf, you're best off starting a new thread for your questions so that people can be assigned points when they answer you :)
peyrache
Respected Contributor

reponses with >>>
JYP
1) I am about to purchase a DL100 (NAS1500) but I am missing the trays for the sata drives. Anyone would know if I can install drives without the trays in this unit ? Or have any ideas on the tray part #, searched HP extensively.. obviously not enough...
>>>normally drives come with trays so i do >>>not know , but if correcly installed it >>>should work
2) Can I use larger drives, say 500GB or 1TB hard drives ?
>>>500GB max

3) Can this device be installed with Linux for example ? There is a Win license sticker but I don't have the media.
>>>you can take free DVD for Restore on >>>pointer below
http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=397649-002

4) Is that box "almost" like a normal server, or is it so specific, nothing can be done outside of HP's planned usage ??
>>>this hardware has been optimzed to run >>>Windows Storage Server Software