StoreEasy Storage
1752579 Members
4173 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Storage Server - Issues After Issues .. is it me?

BR695997

DL380 G4 Storage Server - Issues After Issues .. is it me?

DL380 G4 Storage Server with the MSA20 SATA Array (Delivered about a month ago)

First the Cache battery No 1 in the MSA20 failed. (HP Engineers still don't know which battery is 0 or 1. Firmware has been upgraded, batteries replaced 3 times, accelerator cards twice, controller, and a new PSU) With 36+ hours between changes to see if it's worked, I'm still unsure if it's fixed yet.

Then there is The Shipped OS Build. On running the server configuration in the NAS portal, several of the steps don't work. Then if you do get around that, it stuffes the SNMP config so the HP diag tools stop working. (Thankfully the Quick Recovery DVD works every time!)

After noticing a multitude of applicable MS and HP patches, I ordered the "HP Storage Server Service Release 5.4" disk to save the ordeal of working out which patches I need. But that eventually falls over with a "Install Shield Error 1628: Failed to complete installation."

The question ... am I alone? or have others been having issues? If so can you let me in on the secret of getting it to work?
3 REPLIES 3
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Hi Alun,

I am sorry you have had issues. Let me try to help on the DL380 G4 Storage Server issues.

1) Shipped OS Build. I am not sure what specific steps are not working for you. Assuming you used the Rapid Startup Wizard, there are some known issues with it. I am attaching the Release Notes where there are 3 entries (Storage Server Web UI section) for Rapid Startup:
-RS does not function if a network interface has not been enabled
-RS does not change admin password
-RS automatically advances

If you wish, please provide more specifics on the startup and snmp issues you experienced.

2) Multitude of MS patches. Yes the shipped OS requires updating. You should have received a NAS Service Release CD in the box. Installing the SR comes close to providing the latest Msft updates. But it also gets the storage servers updated with the latest HP updates (hardware and NAS fixes). To get the latest Microsoft updates, see the next paragraph.

Unfortunately you received the product just before the policy changed regarding Microsoft software updates. Here is the link explaining the new policy and use of Microsoft Update tools:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/suspp/index.html

3. Install Shield Error: 1628
The error 1628 has been observed periodically by the NAS lab. It seems to happen because a driver we have identified does not exit properly when the SR installation is run the first time. Run the SR again is the current workaround.

Alun, I hope this all helps.
CA1241306

I am also having some issues with two DL380 G4 storage servers.

The web gui will not start, neither local (localhost:3202) or remote servername:3202

After examening both systems we notice that on both the storage servers the WWW Publishing service and the SMTP service crashes
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Yes, the services are affecting access to the web UI. Please provide more information. Were they running before? Have you recently done something to the DL380 G4 storage servers (add a 3rd party app, apply W2K3 SP1, NAS service release)? Can you simply re-start both services? The text of the error message(s) in the event log would be helpful.