1752781 Members
6292 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 NFS unix mount problem

NickFrancis

DL380 NFS unix mount problem

Hi,

SFU is running. We have corrected some of the permissions. We can mount the drives but we get:

scully.nildram.co.uk:nmf> cd /enterprise_unix
ksh: /enterprise_unix: permission denied

mulder.nildram.co.uk:root> #cd /enterprise_unix
ksh: /enterprise_unix: permission denied

So is there somewhere else we need to change the permissions? We have added groups and shares and users and tied them together as seems appropriate however we dont seem to be able to associate the "unix" group with the "unix" share though we can create an nfs unix group.

Confused!

Nick.
2 REPLIES 2
Luke Burns

Sorry I wish this were an answer to the question you had, but I am having the same problem going from a SuSE linux box to our WIN2003 server NAS. I can get it to mount but cannot ls, cd etc the dir on the Linux side. Were you able to figure this out?

Thanks.

Luke G Burns
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Guys,

There are two levels of NFS permissions:

1) The hosts allowed to mount a share
2) The filesystem permissions

It sounds like you've corrected the first problem, because you can NFS mount the SFU share.

The second level of permissions has to do with the NTFS ACLs and the SFU user mapping service.

You can do a simple test to verify your user and group mappings. Do the following:

1) Create a brand folder on the Windows server.
2) Open up the ACL permissions to "Everyone", "Full Control".
3) NFS share that new folder, and enable "anonymous access" on it. Also allow "root" to mount the folder as well.
4) On the UNIX host, mount the NFS share. Do a cd into the NFS mount, and create a new file (i.e. using touch).
5) Do an ls on that share, and see what user and group are showing up in the UNIX permissions.

If there are user or group mapping permissions problems, you will see "anonymous" or "nobody/nogroup" (I can't remember which). When the mappings are correct, you will see the proper UNIX username and groupname showing.

The above test will also help you determine if your users' default group is incorrect, or any other such problem.