StoreEasy Storage

Data Protector and NAS9000s Cluster Again

BR794491
Advisor

Data Protector and NAS9000s Cluster Again

Thanks for replies to previous posts.
I have read throught the manuals.
Just to make sure that I am going to do this right, I simply install the DP5.1 client on each of the nodes, making sure that cluster support is checked.
I then import this into data protector using the virtual cluster IP address and it should appear under clusters?
Many thanks in advance
regards
Jonathan
7 REPLIES 7
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Re: Data Protector and NAS9000s Cluster Again

Hi Jonathan,

Looks okay, but if you can wait till Fri (9/3), we'll be checking this configuration and can give an update to your question.
BR794491
Advisor

thanks again Keith
I'll hang on and try it on Monday
jon
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Your summary of the install process is essentially correct. I had the DP Cell Manager on another network server. I used a standard (as opposed to a cluster-aware) cell manager. I followed the Installing a Cluster-Aware Client instructions on p. 145 of the DP 5.1 Installation Guide for both 9000s nodes logged in as local admin. No reboot was needed after installation of the DP Client software. The NAS cluster nodes and virtual servers were automatically imported into the specified DP 5.1 Cell Manager (see Clients, then expand MS Clusters).
BR794491
Advisor

Many thanks for the advice Keith.
we have an HP-UX cell manager, not clustered.
I logged in as local admin to each cluster node in turn and loaded the dp client. As you said it detected that it was a cluster and installed the cluster component.
we are running both the cluster and the backup server with both public and private network interfaces.
When I came to import the cluster using the virtual host name it always fails.
I am able to telnet to the virtual-ip address on port 5555 successfully and also telnet from the cluster nodes back to the cell manager.
I am wondering if there is some DNS name resolution problem maybe, although I have checked the hosts files on all the boxes concerned.
Has anyone got any ideas of how I can proceeed.
I can import the virtual ip address as a normal client in which case it displays the shared resources such as the quorum disk and the data LUNs.
How can I back up the local c: disks on the cluster nodes? Do I import them as their actual IP addresses?
In which case I don't get the purpose cluster icon when in the clients view.
Are there any specific patches that are required for this to work.
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Is the HP-UX DP Cell Manager name/ip address entered in Microsoft DDNS server for the Active Directory Domain? If not, enter a new record manually on the Microsoft DDNS server for the DP Cell Manager/HP-UX server. It sounds to me DP Client being installed on the NAS heads cannot contact the HP-UX based Cell Manager.
BR794491
Advisor

Hi
the problem is still apparent.
We have a central unix based DNS that is authoritative for
domain-name.com

We have a specific Active Directory to support the clustered NAS heads and storage infrastructure:

storage.domain-name.com

The AD based DNS servers are configured to forward requests outside of its authoritative zones (ie to backupseerver.domain-name.com) to the central unix DNS servers.

When I try to resolve the names for the backup server from the NAS9000 heads they resolve OK.

As I said previously I can import the virtual IP address of the NAS head as a client. This shows up the shared LUNs for backing up.

I can also add each individual cluster node as a client no problem. I can then see the Configuration, C:\ drive and the Compaq restore drive (FAT).

Is there any problem in backing up the servers in this manner, rather than having them appear under the cluster icon in the Clients screen of DP?

I was hooping to take a backup soon of these servers before they go into production.

In a similar vein, would it be worthwhile adding the VSS client to the installations?

Many thanks in advance
Jonathan

CA1118839
Valued Contributor

The only thing I can think of is you would lose the clustering aspect, meaning if NAS Node A fails to Node B, you would not be able to backup the cluster groups (i.e., file resources) via the cluster virtual ip address (assuming a network backup vs SAN).

Cannot go much farther except to point you to the Data Protector forum web site: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=251