108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Quotas and NFS

BR794491
Advisor

Disk Quotas and NFS

Hi
we have clustered NAS9000s.
I have switched disk and user quotas on and everything looks fine from Windows shares.
If I choose to log events when users exceed quotas they are only logged as "a user on volume J has exceeded quota". Is there anyway to tie this to the offending user?
Also if the same filestore is exported via NFS can the quota messages be delivered to unix users on their /home/group/username directories?
Many thanks in advance
Regards
JOn
3 REPLIES 3
BR794491
Advisor

Hi
ignore the first bit about the event log, I was simply reading the event message text, the username is reported as well and I can access it via WMI.

As I mentioned we have clustered heads, and I read with alarm in the NAS9000 manual that the Storage Management Features ie

Directory Quotas
File Screening
Storage Reports

are unsupported in a clustered environment.

Is this position likely to change in the near future as we would find them very useful??

Am I right in thinking that any quotas I setup are simply used as an event generating mechanism rather than to block further writes from remote clients?

Many thanks in advance
Regards
Jon
BR794491
Advisor

sorry to go on
shared clustered disks can have quotas switched on. There is also a checkbox to prevent access should they be over limit. This works.
Unix reports a device full error.
I'm still interested in the long term support of directory quotas and storage reports via the NAS9000 and Windows in clustered configurations.
Many thanks and best wishes
Jon
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

What kind of software do you use to share your filestore to the Unix boxes ? (samba,CIFS)

Are those home directories automounted ?

Below is an example for HPUX auto_master file with quotas.

auto_master file
/filesystem -hosts -soft,quota,proto=udp,timeo=40,retrans=6,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

Hope this helps,
Robert-Jan