StoreEasy Storage
1753331 Members
5249 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive letters have been changed on ML 370 G4 Server

BR869946

Drive letters have been changed on ML 370 G4 Server

Hi to all, I encountered a problem on ML 370 G4 server having Windows 2000 Server. The problem is that the server suddenly didn't boot. I checked the hardware and is seeems that evertyhing are working fine. The RAID still available. When i tried to boot on cd drive using window 200 Srv cd I've found out that the drive letter has been changed. The C drive/partition became F drive/partition, vice versa. Is there anyone who encountered this problem. Please give me an advice on how to resolved this problem. Thanks..
4 REPLIES 4
BR764657
Advisor

Re: Drive letters have been changed on ML 370 G4 Server

Did you install any ms patches, we had a similar problem where all system32 files got deleted.

To get it to work try installin windows on the F:\ then once booted change the boot.ini file to boot from c:\ again after yu have changed drive letters. You may be able to run a repair on the instal if you have a repair disk.
BR869946

I tried to install it drive F:/ but unfortunately the server still didn't boot. So there is no way i can edit the boot.ini.
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Boot order should be determined by the BIOS rather than the OS. My guess is that something changed there to modify the boot order. Try changing it back and rebooting.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
BR869946

Actually in boot order you have to specify which device will it boot, in this case it should be the SCSI controller. So it is the SCSI controller that determine which drive will it boot. And in scsi bios itself you cannot change the drive letter.