CA806597
Occasional Advisor

Expanding Array

Hi,
I have 4x146GB HDs in a NAS2000S.
Currently it says that:
Logical Drive 1: 261116MB (RAID5)
Unused: 211884MB

I want to expand my Array and use the unused space but the Wizard does not show the Expand Array option. I have used it before but now it's gone.

I'm using Array Configuration Utility 6.40.11.0
When I expanded it before it would only allow me to expand (from originaly 100GB) to the current size claiming that's the max size I can expand to.

appreciate any help.
regards
Osama Salah
4 REPLIES 4
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Re: Expanding Array

Hi Osama,

Do you want to EXPAND the array which you need an unused/spare physical drive in order to do this; or do you want to EXTEND Logical Drive 1 adding some or all of the Unused (211884MB) space?

If you want to Extend the current Logical Drive, select Logical Drive 1 and the Extend option should be accessable.

Note: The Expand array selection is listed only if there is an unassigned physical drive on the controller. The unassigned drive must also have a capacity no less than that of a drive in an existing array.

CA806597
Occasional Advisor

Hi Keith,
I want to extend the logical array by using the "unused" space left.
I tried as suggested and set focus on the logical drive but still the Extend option does not show under the Config. Wiz options.

No clue why it disappeared.
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Hi again Osama,

On a 2000s using ACU 6.40.11.0, using the Configuration Wizard, I did not have a problem extending the logical drive. I used the NAS WebUI, Disk, then ACU tab to perform the test.

I did notice in my first attempt after Saving the configuration, on the Main Menu, after highlighting the logical drive to extend, that the Extend option on the right hand margin of the GUI was not displayed. I refreshed the ACU GUI by selecting "Smart Array 5i Controller in Embedded slot". After performing this action, the Extend option re-displayed.

Also, I noticed when using the Configuration Wizard that you have to scroll down to view the Extend logical drive selection which is below the Delete logical drive selection.

Hope this helps!
CA806597
Occasional Advisor

It's solved now.
Turns out since I started with a small partition a smaller sector size was used which would allow extending only up to 260GB.
The new Array Configuration Utility 7.15.19.0 allows to overcome this limitation.
regards
Osama Salah