StoreEasy Storage
1752796 Members
5977 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 3-in-1 Hard Disk Upgrade

Carolyn Lundy

Re: HP 3-in-1 Hard Disk Upgrade

Roberto, I don't think I understood what you were saying. The network doesn't show the the harddrive and when I put what you said in the browser, it didn't seem to know what I was asking for. I got a search screen. I am about to buy a hard drive enclosure and give up on this thing. I feel I was taken advantage of, but can't do anything about it now. If you have other suggestions, I am open to them.

Carolyn
Roberto_144
Advisor

carolyn, HP nas 3-in-1 is a nice piece of hw, and works fine.
I guess you are missing some basics, to let use that.
I guess better start a private chat, as off topic, while trying to understood whats wrong there... please contact me directly in private, mail or msn...
Carolyn Lundy

Where do I do a private chat?
W N

Hi

Hopefully someone will read this old thread again like me! :)

I have done the upgrade as per instructions on this thread and everything went smoothly.....but.....I am having the following problem.

I have installed a WD 500GB SATA drive. I checked the drive and it was all zeros (checked with ActiveKillDisk 5.0), upgraded, added firmware.

Everything is working but when I try and copy a folder of files to the Public Share I get the message that not all properties of the file will be copied to the new location.

I have googled this and found that this is usually down to external storage being formatted in FAT32 and therefore the properties won't be copied across.

This new drive must have been formatted by the NAS 3 in 1, and I assumed it would function just as the stock 160GB disk did, ie, full NTFS like functionality in that I could copy files across without losing properties and also I suspect that it will not now allow files of larger than 2GB, just like its now a FAT32 drive!

Has anyone else who's upgraded had this problem with format of disk(?), file properties and mixumum file size.

My question is, what was different about the file system on the stock 160GB disk that made it possible for the NAS to act like a local HDD in every way???

I am close to just dumping the 500GB disk and going back to the stock disk!

Help would be very much appreciated here :)

Many Thanks

Winston
Rick Ritter

I followed the steps in this thread and was able to install a 500 Gb Seagate drive successfully. One snag I ran into was the error 10053 and 10054. I finally figured out that you must do a hard reset before the download will work. After doing a hard reset, the firmware downloaded, the disk partitions were created, the OS was written to the disk, and the NAS rebooted successfully. I was able to log into the NAS from the browser and configure everything including a statick IP address and my new data partition showed the whole 500 Gb. I was able to copy files to the NAS and thought everything was working fine until I unplugged the NAS and plugged it back in. When I plugged it back in, the NAS came back up looking for a download again instead of booting up. I tried this whole precedure three more times and got the same result. Everything is fine until I power down and power back up. I also discovered that if I do the hard reset, the NAS will boot up from the OS on the disk but then server name, ip address etc are all set back to default and I have to go through the whole config again. At this point I put the 160 Gb disk back in until I figure out what step is missing here. The 160 Gb disk boots up just fine. Looking for suggestions.
Jason Whiteman

I found the easiest way to upgrade this HDD is to use an exact copy ("RAW") of the original disk using a freeware disk clone utility. Ghost did not work, but the freeware utility did.

Using an exact copy takes longer since every single bit on the original drive will be copied regardless if there is data there ("blank space" or not).

The utility I used was DOS-based and freeware. Doing a search, I'm finding "Ranish Partition Manager". Not sure if that's it or not.

After cloning the original disk, I was able to add a second "pool" that consumed the rest of the usable space.

If you have a hard drive that is larger than the maximum supported size (see earlier posts) - make sure not to make a pool that is too big. Doing so will cause the NAS to stop responding and you will lose access to your data.

Gary Salvadore

I have the 3-in-1 and would like to add a drive to the bay (internal) is there any good explanation on how to add not replace a drive to the unit?

what drive works best?
what is the largest drive it can take?
any specs on the drive I need to know about before buying a new drive?
should I just add an external drive?
Jean-Marc Cailleaux

Hello,

the procedure from mrladyboy is ok.

if you have the problem the error 10053 and/of 10054, because your HardDisk in not initialise.

initialize with xp or vista ( not format ) and and repeat the procedure.

JM.
Clemens Feinler

Hi,

im searching for the default login / user & password for the
HP 3-in-1 nas docking station
config page

http://hpnas

this page promt for a user and password

see at the attachment

thanks !!!
Paul_Allen

I know this is an old thread but.....

I can't get the nasload to upload the happens_split.nas file to the docking station.  it doesn't error but hangs without doing anything even with the original disk in it (i.e.. Press ctrl-c to quit).

With the original disk I can access the NAS partition and config page so the IP is assigned and everything is available over the network yet the nasload command doesn't find it.

The laptop I'm executing it from is running Win7 64bit and is connected to the docking station via RJ45 through an 8 port switch.

I've tried with tfdp32 but the app errors saying it's running as a service so try using tfpd32_gui.exe, which doesn't seem to exist.  I installed tfpd64 but the message still quotes 32.

I haven't tried cloning the original disk to the new one yet but thought I'd ask the question here first.

Any help appreciated.