StoreEasy Storage

HP 3-in-1 NAS hard drive internet compatibility

John Hibbs

HP 3-in-1 NAS hard drive internet compatibility

I've been using the HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station's hard drive purely as an external hard drive (not for back-up). It never worked for me until recently when I discovered the cause of its inability to connect to my computer. It turns out that using a wired ethernet cable to connect to the internet disables the hard drive. When I used the bluetooth on my laptop to connect to the internet, or when I wasn't connected to the internet at all, the hard drive worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the wireless internet connection in my room is breathtakingly slow and spotty. Why does the hard drive stop communicating with the laptop once I've plugged in the ethernet connection? Is there a way to fix this problem? I've downloaded the necessary drivers for the vista 32-bit operating system. What's going on?
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Sutcliffe_3

Re: HP 3-in-1 NAS hard drive internet compatibility

when your laptop is docked into the docking station both your NIC IP & your NAS IP operate from the same ethernet connection at the back of the 3in1, as does mine.

I am guessing you have your laptop docked & are connecting the ethernet cable to the back of the unit to do this, have you tried undocking your laptop & trying the same thing?
John Hibbs

Re: HP 3-in-1 NAS hard drive internet compatibility

Well, I tried to undock my laptop and connect to my wired internet's ip address wirelessly while the docking station was still plugged into the ethernet. Unfortunately, this didn't work. Just to clarify my problem, if the ethernet cable is connected to my docking station and an internet connection is fully established, then the NAS hard drive does not work. If the ethernet cable is disconnected, then the NAS hard drive is fully accessible. I would like to be able to connect to the internet via an ethernet connection AND be able to use my NAS hard drive simultaneously. Thank you very much for your help, but unfortunately, the problem hasn't been resolved.