1752579 Members
3843 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP AIO600 NAS/SAN

HEMS

HP AIO600 NAS/SAN

Hi,

We just got HP AIO600 & I am tring to configure it the best way. Let me tell what I have and want to do:
I have 4 windows 2003 R2 servers out of them one server is attached to Certance/Quantum LTO2 tape drive. I have Symantec backup exec 12 as backup software and have Windows Remote agent for backup exec instlled on HP AIO600. I would like to take backup of User defined applications from AIO600 to my tape. But all I see is .VHD files. I don't see any data on AIO600. I can only see data on the servers but on AIO600 I can only see the .vhd file per drive.

So is there a way I can take backup of AIO600 data to my tape? Or if you can create snapshop on AIO & take backup on the the tape which is connected to one my servers.

Any input will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Hemal
2 REPLIES 2
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Hi Hemal,

As you say, iscsi data stored by the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target in Virtual Hard Disk (.vhd) files. You can see the data on your application servers becasue of the iscsi initiator on those app servers.

For using Backup Exec with an AiO, I suggest having a look at the following white paper to see if it answers your questions concnering this: http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-4876ENW.pdf

Essentially, there are three primary ways to protect the data in these .vhd files. First, you can install a backup application on the host server and back up the data from the host server as if it was residing on a local drive. Second, you can back up directly from the AiO using the intelligent integration we have designed into the system. Third, you can use the pre- and post-script mechanism described in this paper to extend this direct backup model to other backup applications.

Hope that helps,
Monty
HEMS

Hi Monty,

Thanks for you reply. I went through the white paper you send me. I still have some quetions:

Here is my current scenario. I allocated 500GB space as "USER DEFINED APPLICATION" named "DATA" from AIO600 to HP server. I have basically all kinds of files (ms office), tax libraries etc on this "DATA" folder on HP server.

In Symantec Backup exe "backup wizard". I can only see the application name "DATA" from the AIO. I can't see anything else inside "DATA". I have several subfolers and files inside "DATA" and want to take selective backup the "DATA" . Is there a way to do it?

Regarding the 3 ways to protect data on AIO600, I know about option 1 but can you tell me more about back up directly from the AiO using the intelligent integration.

Thanks for any comments.

Hemal