5258 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProLiant DL 380 G4

mrfrost c

HP ProLiant DL 380 G4

Hi,

I've been reading hp docs:

"As a result of this test program, HP has changed the default stripe size used by the HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU) Version 7.20 or later and by HP Option ROM Configuration for Arrays (ORCA) Version 2.54 or later. The new default stripe size is 64 KB."

And i've read too:

"Recommendations
To maximize performance of existing Smart Array 6x controllers, HP recommends that system administrators configure RAID volumes with a 64-KB stripe size. Changing the default stripe size is simple using the ACU."

But the test has been performed with 4GB files. We'll use the NAS to mail storage, and (there is no way) for spool storage too. If we are talking about files that could be from 1K to rarely 10MB... ¿64k would be a good choice?. We'are not sure yet about implementing RAID 1+0 or RAID 5.

And in the "Administration Guide of Proliant DL Storage server" i've read:

"Format drives with a 16 K allocation size for best support of shadow copies, performance, and defragmentation."

So we must use 16k cluster size for disk format and 64k strip-size for de array. ¿is that a good configuration for raid 5 or raid 1+0 nas storage server that will save user's mailbox data and spool folders?.

Thank you, thank you thank you