Can it be used as CIFS or NFS only ?

How it will be attached ?

BR

14 REPLIES 14
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks 9100 Extreme Data Storage System and CIFS

Hello,

you can access the ExDS9100 on three ways: NFS, HTTP or Polyserve Direct IO. AFAIK it will be connected to you network over ethernet. The ExDS includes blades (performance block) and storageworks hardware (storageblock). Take a look at the homepage for the ExDS9100:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/592778-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=ex_r2880_go/extremestorage

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Eli_Dezman
Advisor

1.if i understand correct it cann't be used in Microsoft environment , correct ?

2.how NFS can be used with Windows 2008 Serve ?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

surely it can be used in a Microsoft enviroment, but it depends on the planned purpose. This system isn't designed for fileservices or things like that. It's rather storage for web services and things like that.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Eli_Dezman
Advisor

I want to use it as replacement for my NetApp systems . NetApp works fine with CIFS and NFS , but i have a Microsoft enviroment and looking for a way to replace NetApp CIFS with HP StorageWorks 9100

you scoring points ))

Best Regards
Eli
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

the ExDS9100 is not a candidate for you replacement, but it's good that you want to replace the filer. ;)

Take a look at the ProLiant NAS products:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/storage_servers/index.html

Some of my clients use the HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Storage Server, either with a MSA or connected to a SAN. You can use NFS, CIFS, iSCSI to connect to it.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Eli_Dezman
Advisor

i am looking for NAS with 40-50TB of storage at least . i guess i will have to use EVA4400 with Windows 2008 as a gateway or to stay with the filer :-(

BR
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

mmhh... in case of such a big amount of data it's better to take a ProLiant Storage Server (NAS Model) in combination with a EVA4400. Then you can serve storage with NFS, CIFS, iSCSI and FC. Think about the RAID 4/DP of the Filer, the costs for licenses and the support. You will be more flexible with such a HP solution.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Kevin Hobbs

High availability CIFS support is available today on the ExDS9100 for many common use cases. Minor manual configuration is required to activate the feature. Out of the box support including integrated management commands will be available with version 2.0 in Q3. Cluster wide scale out CIFS support is a stretch goal for version 2.0 and if not addressed in this release will follow in version 2.5 in Q4.

ExDS9100 now supports NFS, CIFS, HTTP, WebDAV and FTP.
macosta
Trusted Contributor

As Kevin mentions, it does not currently support CIFS out of the box, but if you speak with your account rep, you'll find that you can in fact utilize other protocols than the default NFS and httpd methods.