StoreEasy Storage

HP StorageWorks NAS 1000s replacing failed drive

CA1311835

HP StorageWorks NAS 1000s replacing failed drive

Hi everyone,

We have a 320GB NAS 1000s. Today we had to replace Disk 1 (Maxtor 6Y080L0). We replaced it with another 6Y080L0. The LBAs on both drives were identical.

Following the instructions in the "NAS 1000s Quick Start Guide," we are easily able to recreate the mirror of the C: partition, but the "Repair Volume..." command is grayed out on the F: data partition. I noticed there's an issue with 1TB editions of this unit, but nothing on the 320GB version.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I going to have to "Restore Basic Disk Configuration" and restore the data from a backup??

Thanks for your help.

Jefferson Krogh
IS Manager
Kennerley-Spratling, Inc.
5 REPLIES 5
CA739512
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP StorageWorks NAS 1000s replacing failed drive

Jefferson,

Your data partition, does it have an exclamation? Do you have an option to re-enable the logical drive ?

Thx,
Greg
Lets Roll!
CA1311835

The data partition had the exclamation point, but I didn't see anything about re-enabling a logical volume. The contextual menu for it only lists "Repair Volume" and "Reactivate Volume," but both were grayed out.

(Note: we put the original Disk 1 back into the system for now, as it's still chugging along, albeit with a ton of bad blocks. We didn't want to leave the server running without any redundancy on the data partition, even though the original Disk 1 is not very happy.)
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Jefferson,

I think you are having the same issue as the 1TB model referenced in the Customer Advisory. I would recommend contacting HP Support, reference Customer Advisory OD040513_CW01, and let them determine if the replacement drive is precluding the Repair Volume step.
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Also, you may want to put the new disk in and try to create the RAID5 before the mirror. If you are having a size limitation on the disk, your data will be replicated but the OS will operate in a degraded state.
CA1311835

Thanks Keith! I tried redoing the RAID-5 partition first, but it still didn't offer the "Repair Volume" option.

I agree that this sounds like the same kind of issue as with the 1TB models; I'll contact Support and see what they say. I figure if all else fails, I'll backup the data parition and recreate it from scratch and then restore...