1751712 Members
5777 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HP storage server

1sarina
Occasional Visitor

HP storage server

I have an opportunity to purchase an HP storage server (pn AP788A) with 8 1tb drives, 4 GB RAM and a Xeon 5520 2.26 ghz. I don't know much about these so can anyone fill me in on them. Anything I might be overlooking? I'm at work so am not able to do much research on it right now.

Would this be a good candidate to install another CPU and run esxi? This would end up being my storage server, plus a seperate vm web server for plexpy and Plex requests.

1 REPLY 1
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: HP storage server

Hello @1sarina 

A few things that shouldn't be overlooked about this product are:

1. This is a very old product. There is no HPE support for this
2. Any support documents availability is also a challenge as it is discontinued long ago. You must be self-sufficient to resolve any issues on your own.

I don't think this system is best suitable to install additional CPU and run esxi if that was your primary requirement. However, it is meant for NAS (storage) server. 

I found a document on another variant of the same product line: http://meliusgroup.ru/files/techinfo/technicheskie-kharakteristiki-setevie-sistemi-hraneniya-hp-storageworks-x1000-network-storage-systems.pdf

A quick glance on pg no 5 will help you to understand the utility of the product.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo