5791 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE WSS2016 Standard Edition Upgrade Kit

Bsod-d
Occasional Contributor

HPE WSS2016 Standard Edition Upgrade Kit

Hi, first time poster.

I am looking for information on the HPE WSS2016 Standard Edition Upgrade Kit in order to upgrade a 2012 (not R2) server to Windows 2016 and I need to upgrade it with one of the kits.

I found this link - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00006808en_us&docLocale=en_US

and when I try and upgrade using the in-place upgrade using the following error: Setup couldn't start properly, please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 setup again

Close all browsers and applications.> Insert the upgrade media (DVD) or mount the media to the HPE StoreEasy Storage.> Locate and open the upgradecustomization folder inside the DVD. > From the command prompt, run upgradeOS.exe.The application extracts the operating system files to the folder c:\hposupgrade. The message Readyfor upgrade appears on the command prompt. > Reboot the system

I take it that I can just put the disk in an do what we would normally do with an OS in-place upgrade? Any gotchas that I could get caught out on considering that this the OS upgrade needs to occur on two clustered service.

The servers are - 3PAR StoreServ File Controllers

Any further required just let me know

2 REPLIES 2
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

For nodes in a failover cluster the node needs to be evicted and wipe and upgrade method needs to be followed:

From the guide pages 3 and 4:

Upgrading Windows 2012/2012 R2 Failover Clusters toWindows 2016Starting with Windows Storage Server 2016, clusters can be rolled from Windows 2012/2012 R2 to a fullyfunctioning Windows 2016 cluster once all nodes have been upgraded to Windows Storage Server 2016.NOTE: Hewlett Packard Enterprise recommends you to back up the system before performing thisupgrade.Windows Storage Server 2016 supports the rolling upgrade method for migrating from Windows StorageServer 2012R2 to Windows Storage Server 2016 Failovers configurations. HPE recommends you toreview the information available at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/%20windows-server-docs/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade before upgrading a clusteredenvironment. Only one node has to be upgraded at a time. The node must be evicted from the clusterprior to the upgrade process.

IMPORTANT:After the upgrade process is complete, the Upgrade DVD must be used as the System Recovery DVD.Subsequent use of the Upgrade DVD will restore the storage server to its default OS volume settings.The System Recovery DVD that was originally provided with your HPE StoreEasy installs the originaloperating system (Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2012 R2). After completing this upgrade, be sureto use the Upgrade DVD to perform any system recoveries on the upgraded system.After the upgraded node has been reconfigured and joined to the Active Directory domain, the upgrade nodewill be added to the existing cluster.NOTE: For failover clusters you must only upgrade one node at a time for WSS2016

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please let me know whether the information shared helped.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo