108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install SEMC on 1660 NAS system

SOLVED
Go to solution
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Install SEMC on 1660 NAS system

Hello, i'm not able to install the msi (logged on the 1660 with the default administrator account) I get 2 errors message : the first one with the default port 8443 that is in use by the system itslef (don't understand why...), i've changed for another one and the second message that says SMEC failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.... I'm using the default admin account that allowed me to start the init of the system. Help appreciate :)
10 REPLIES 10
tobiasflitsch
HPE Pro

Re: Install SEMC on 1660 NAS system

Hi J-Philippe,

There is an existing service running on your StoreEasy that binds to port 8443 which the installer should take care of. The behavior that you're describing doesn't seem to be right. In order to fix your problem, can you share more details including: 

• What version of the management console are you installing?
  • Error messages from the log files found in "C:\nas\logs\HPE StoreEasy management console". The "SEMC_DLL_LOG_[0-4].txt" files, probably the one with the latest modfiy timestamp. 
  • Error messages from the Windows Application event log (the PowerShell command below should provide that): 
    Get-EventLog -LogName "Application" -Source "HPE StoreEasy management console" -EntryType Error | select Message

If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information here, I recommend opening a case with HPE support. We will then provide you a secure storage location where you can place the log files for further investigation. 

Regards,
Tobias

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Tobias, sorry was offline a few days. I was not using the last / correct package for SEMC, usiing the Q0F58-10501 version instead the Q0F58-10103 solve the issue. The port 8443 is well take in count by the installer. So now it's works but I have one more question about something strange on the Array creation. Don't understand why but despite de RAID level I've choosen the total size of the array stuck ├а 15TB. I've 8 4TB drive fore 32 TB RAW storage. With 8 drives in RAID 6 the created array should report arroun 21TB but not 15TB. Same thing with RAID 5, 60....
tobiasflitsch
HPE Pro

Hi J-Philippe,

I'm glad your first issue was resolved. And just that I understand competely, you are now running Q0F58-10501, meaning version 1.1.1.60 (reported in Settings > Management console updates > Current version)?

What you are describing does indeed not sound right. Can you send me a screenshot of the issue? I am particularly interested in the information displayed for your "Array", accessible in the management console from "Storage Subsystems" > "Arrays" > "?? your array name ??" > "General".

Thanks.

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

In fact the array size seems good but the usable space (15TB) do not equal the array size (19TB) So the folllowing Logical Drive equals the usable space of the array and so on for the volume after. Only 75% of the total size seems usable and 25% reserved for what ? Maybe this is a normal behavior, I far away to be familiar with NAS system and more with windows storage...
tobiasflitsch
HPE Pro

Hi J-Philippe,

thanks for getting back so quickly. We're trying to reproduce this right now with version 1.1.1.60 in our lab. I'll let you know if we need more information.

Cheers.

tobiasflitsch
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi J-Philippe,

thanks for your patience. Our engineering team was able to reproduce the problem that you're describing and is eagerly working on a fix. While engineering is working on a permanent fix for this issue, please follow the below steps to get your array setup and working according to your specification.

First, delete your existing Logical Drive and Array that are not meeting your needs - you can do this using the StoreEasy management console. Please be aware that you can only delete Logical Drives if there are no Volumes in it; and you can only delete the Array after you've deleted the Logical Drive.

Then, log on to the system using either iLO or Microsoft Remote Desktop and use the start menu to navigate to тАЬWindows SystemтАЭ > тАЬSmart Storage AdministratorтАЭ and open the application.

step_1.jpg

In the list of Smart Array Controllers on the left, select тАЬHPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10тАЭ, the controller that your 8x4TB drives connect to and select тАЬConfigureтАЭ in the тАЬActionsтАЭ pane.

step_2.jpg

If all of your existing Logical Devices and Arrays are deleted, the left hand side should say "8 unassigned drives". Select тАЬCreate ArrayтАЭ in the middle of the screen.

On the popup screen, select all of the physical drives on the screen and click "Create Array". Confirm the following dialog with "Yes". 

Next, select your RAID Level as per your specification "RAID 6 (ADG)" and select "Create Logical Drive" (you can leave the remaining options to their default). Select "Finish" and close Smart Storage Administrator completely (the following steps won't work if the application is still running).

Back in the StoreEasy management console, click on the "rediscover storage" button found on the top right of the "Storage Subsystems" page.

step_3.jpg

You should now be able to see your desired Logical Drive in the list, with the capacity that youтАЩve originally stated: 21.83 TiB usable capacity: 6 x 4TB x 0.9094947 (conversion factor TB/TiB).

The last thing you will need to do is select the Logical Drive and select тАЬBring onlineтАЭ on the Actions pane before it is usable by volumes. 

step_4.jpg

I hope this resolves your issues until we provide a proper fix for this issue. Please let me know if I can help with anything else. And of course we will let you know when there is a fix in place.

Cheers.
Tobias

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Tobias, thanks for the workarround !

As i've worked simultanously on 2 NAS systems, the trick did well for the one I've didn't create share. But the 1st NAS where i've faced the issue has some shares that I've created. I've deleted them through the SMEC but when I try to delete the volume it tells me that untill shares are created it cannot be removed.
The weird thing is that even in the windows browser view the 2 folders remains but the shares are not enable.

I can't remove them via DEL button in windows or PowerShell as the cmdlet return that files are write protected.

Off course I always work with the admoinistrator account.

I've tried to restart the System but still the same.

If you have an idea..... otherwise I will remove the array through the Smart Array, no pb.

Regards,

Jean-Philippe

tobiasflitsch
HPE Pro

Hi J-Philippe,

sorry that it still doesn't work for that system. According to your screenshots, the deletion of the volume should be possible. In some situations, e.g. when a client has connected to the shares, you may find the folders locked. I recommend deleting the volume through Server Manager at this point to force the deletion (assuming it is not in production yet).

Additionally, if you could do me a favor and exectute `Get-SmbShare; Get-NfsShare` in PowerShell and send me the output? It should report something like this:

step_3.jpg

To delete the volumes in Server Manager, open it up through the Windows Start menu:

step_1.jpg

Then navigate to "File and Storage Services" > "Volumes". Right-click the volume in question and then select "Delete Volume" and confirm the dialog. 

step_2.jpg

After that, you should be able to continue with the StoreEasy management console to delete the logical drive and array. Alternatively, you can also use the Smart Storage Administrator tool that I menioned in the previous post to clear the entire configuration on the SmartArray controller. You can do this by selecting the controller on the left, selecting "Configure" and then using the "Clear Configuration" button.

step_4.jpg

You will have to confirm the warning message dialog. After that you can perform the same steps as mentioned in my previous post. 

Hopefully this will resolve your remaining issues.

Cheers.
Tobias

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Thank you Tobias, I'll keep you update (not on site for a few days).