5924 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Installing any PCI card in NAS 1200s

Bruno Umberto Spagna
Occasional Contributor

Installing any PCI card in NAS 1200s

Hi again,
I'm trying to install a PCI card (to add 4 usb ports) in my new NAS 1200S; but I have some trouble.

In my 1200s there is a label which says: "TOP SLOT: PCI / BOTTOM SLOT PCI-X", so I tried to insert my PCI card in the top slot (which is phisically a pci-x slot, colored in green like to bottom one) but my NAS refused to start; if I remove the new card the NAS starts immediatly.

So I figure that this top slot is not completely PCI-X compliant (which it means that is compatible with PCI and PCI-X cards).

Could someone tell me if he never tried to insert a normal PCI card in NAS 1200s and it worked fine?

Thank you
Bruno
1 REPLY 1
Bruno Umberto Spagna
Occasional Contributor

Re: Installing any PCI card in NAS 1200s

Hi everybody,
I would like to thank you for any answer... However I answer to myself hoping this will help other IT and server manager.

Yes the NAS 1200S can support PCI card (as a PCI USB 2.0 card). I reallt needed a USB 2.0 port on my server (the original ones are only 1.1!). I purchase a first PCI card which was not 'PCI-X compatible' and it didn't work. Now I purchased a PCI card which is officially 'PCI-X compatible' and now it works very well.

Please remeber that the two slot are not the same 8in my AS there a stick which tells "PCI SLOT on TOP and PCI-X slot on bottom", so my usb PCI card is installed on top and the scsi controller on bottom.

Bye
Bruno