1748089 Members
4895 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Looking at replacements for NAS (NFS) storage

Altoon
Occasional Advisor

Looking at replacements for NAS (NFS) storage

I have some aging NAS  (NFS) storage devices with the following configurations.  I need to be able to tell my customer a price to replace the units as they fail. They are used as datastores in a VMware 6.x environment. Any suggestions?

10TB usable space  SSD drives  2 x 10G network  (There are four of these systems)

50TB usable space  7.2k drives 2 x 10G network  (One system)

75TB usable space  7.2k drives 2 x 10G network  (One system)

The customer has other HP devices in the environment.  It would be nice to stay with one vendor.

Thank you,

Altoon

16 REPLIES 16
SahanaR
HPE Pro

hello @Altoon,

Could yuou please help us with you current NAS box model?

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Altoon
Occasional Advisor

QNAP SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP  4 units

QNAP TS-EC1680U   2 units

Altoon

Christine_C
HPE Pro

Hello,

This query is being directed to our Sales team, who can help with specifics and prices. If it helps, I'm including the link to the StoreEasy 1000 quickspecs: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04111444 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@Altoon wrote:

QNAP SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP  4 units

QNAP TS-EC1680U   2 units

Altoon

@Christine_C left you a URL for the StoreEasy QuickSpec - however the link isn't working for me.  This link does work: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00041171enw. You can learn more about StoreEasy at www.hpe.com/storage/StoreEasy. If you're not aware of HPE StoreEasy, it is based on Windows Storage Server 2016 R2. So whether it is a direct replacement for your use case of your QNAP units is wholly dependent on whether WSS does what you need with NFS. The QuickSpec also gives you information about the different models of the StoreEasy 1000 family.  I have a StoreEasy ChalkTalk that I did a couple of years ago that gives a high level overview, so check it out.  I also have a StoreEasy playlist on YouTube that has the ChalkTalk as well as a number of videos highlighting StoreEasy features that was done by the product management team. You might find some of those helpful.  
Let me know if you have questions - I'm happy to help answer!

Altoon
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for forwarding.  When I click on the link I receive a 404 error.

When should I expect to hear from the sales team?  

Respectfully,

Altoon

Altoon
Occasional Advisor

Because the StoreEasy's OS is Windows 2016 will I have to reboot the system monthly?  I need storage that works 24x7.  I do not want to have to schedule a monthly outage.

Alton

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

HPE doesn't have a solution for your environment. StoreEasy running NFS isn't supported for VMware and the other NFS solution we have, 3PAR running its File Persona, isn't for VMware but file shares.  Apologies that I missed when you said it was for VMware. All the best. 

Altoon
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for letting me know what you do not have. 

I have some MSA 2040s I use as "direct connect" storage over 10GBaseT using iSCSI.  Is this the HPE solution for VMware storage?  I have not considered this for my other servers because they only have one dual port 10GBaseT nic for everything.  What I read says to keep iSCSI totally separate.  Would running iSCSI with other protocols on the same nic be any different than running access to NFS mounts over the same nic?  (This is what we are doing now.)

Altoon

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@Altoon wrote:

Thank you for letting me know what you do not have. 

I have some MSA 2040s I use as "direct connect" storage over 10GBaseT using iSCSI.  Is this the HPE solution for VMware storage?  I have not considered this for my other servers because they only have one dual port 10GBaseT nic for everything.  What I read says to keep iSCSI totally separate.  Would running iSCSI with other protocols on the same nic be any different than running access to NFS mounts over the same nic?  (This is what we are doing now.)

Altoon

Our storage for VMware is focused on our array (SAN-based) storage. Yes, MSA is definitely an option. There's also Nimble Storage and 3PAR that have very deep integration with VMware that MSA does not. For example, both Nimble and 3PAR support VMware VVols but MSA doesn't (and I don't think VVols is on the MSA roadmap but that could change). Here's an MSA for VMware best practices white paper that you might find helpful. I'm not deep enough to answer your NIC question but I'll ask my MSA experts and let you know.