1753518 Members
4975 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 - Bay Expansion

CA1163581

MSA 1000 - Bay Expansion

Hi,

I have a NASB3000 with a MSA 1000 attached with fiber and 2 bays. I am adding a new bay to the MSA 1000 and I was windering if there is a step by ste guide in adding the new bay and then creating a new array in the ACU topick up the new bay.

Thanks in advance

Ann
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 - Bay Expansion

Ann,
when you say you have an MSA1000 and '2 bays', I assume you count existing base unit (MSA1000 controllers + 14 disk bays in one enclosure) as one 'bay'. On the back of the MSA1000 you have two SCSI channels for expansion. I further assume your second 'bay' (disk drive enclosure) is a single-bus model. In that case you simply connect the new disk drive enclosure and fire up ACU.

You might consider reorganizing your disk arrays to redistribute them over all 4 SCSI channels. The MSA1000 does support 'drive roaming' - you can power down the unit and then move disk drives around.

Make sure that any logical disk is intact (no reduced, expanding or rebuiling) before you power down and make sure you firmly seat all disk drives. When I tried this I had one disk which did not get proper contact. I put it back into its original disk bay and waited for the rebuild to complete before I tried it again. So, make a note where any disk came from.

Oh yes: don't forget to ensure you have good backups before you start.
CA1163581

Re: MSA 1000 - Bay Expansion

Thankyou for the reply. I just wanted to make sure before I began that the job was as 'simple' as first envisaged. Your response has confirmed this.

Thankyou