StoreEasy Storage
1753436 Members
4647 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Media Vault MV 5140 new Itunes 8.02 no longer sees vault

Devoir

Media Vault MV 5140 new Itunes 8.02 no longer sees vault

I uploaded the new itunes 8.02. when I open itunes and enter the location of the Media vault MV-5140 in the advanced properites tab of itunes. Itunes will not longer find the library of music stored at \\Hpmediavault\Music.

Can someone help me respond or email Devoir@chartertn.net

Until the itunes upgrade i have had excellent experience with the media vault
2 REPLIES 2
inteller

strange you shoudl mention that....sometiem since November my Xbox 360 stopped seeing media on the media vault. I think the media vault BADLY needs a firmware update with a newer version of the media server. Hopefully an application as major as itunes will spur them to do something.
Devoir

I have spent a considerable amount of time searching the web for answers and it has becom apparent that there is very limited support for the Media vault. It's apparent from the lack of information out there or in here for windows XP.

Second iTunes is a very crappy product.

However, I want to thank iLounge.com for their efforts to support the world where apple has fallen on their fact. I used this as a resource for this message.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

I did discover how to fix this. During the upgrade process iTunes managed to delete these critical resource files

Microsoft Windows
\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl

\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

The two different iTunes library files serve different purposes.

iTunes Library (iTunes Library.itl in Windows)
This file is a database of the songs in your library and the playlists you've created. Some song-specific data is saved in this file. If you delete the file, iTunes creates a new, empty copy when you open the application, but any playlists, song ratings, comments, or other information you created is lost. The iTunes Library file is only used by iTunes

Without them iTune can't find any music. The only way to get them back into the iTunes was to drag and drop the i:\HPmedia\Music\iTunes\Music folder to the onto the "opened Library" in iTunes. This began scanning all 3000 songs and populating them.

iTunes: The Database versus the Content
Another important point to understand: There are really two components that we are concerned about in this process, and these are somewhat distinct from each other in terms of where and how they are stored.
The iTunes Library Database contains the actual index of your media content. This is generally a file named ├в iTunes Library.itl├в and several other supporting files, and by default lives in your Windows ├в My Music├в folder or your Mac ├в Music├в folder under a sub-folder named ├в iTunes.├в This path is not affected by any iTunes preferences, and in fact could not be easily changed prior to iTunes 7.
The iTunes Music Folder contains your actual media content. Despite the name, this includes not only your music, but also audiobooks, TV shows, movies and podcasts ├в basically almost all types of media content managed by iTunes. By default, this folder is named ├в iTunes Music├в and stored as a sub-folder under the iTunes Library Database folder, however this can be changed to any location you prefer via your iTunes Advanced Preferences.

In short i discovered that it is very important to keep a backup copy of your iTunes Library Database folder.

The next step i performed was to move the iTunes Library Database folder from the local hardrive C:\ over to the HPMedia vault

Moving the Library Database
If you├в re simply interested in moving your files to a larger disk, there├в s seldom any reason to worry about moving the library database, as it doesn├в t normally take up a lot of storage space, and there are advantages to leaving this file on your local hard drive and simply storing the content on an external drive.
That having been said, if you do want to move the library database to another location, this is certainly possible as well as long as you├в re using iTunes 7 or later. This must be done separately from the process of moving the content described above, and you├в re best to run the ├в Consolidate├в operation and move the content first, and then relocate the library database once you├в ve confirmed that everything is still working properly.
To do this, shut down iTunes, and copy your ├в iTunes├в folder (under your ├в Music├в or ├в My Music├в folder) to the new location. Keep in mind that by default, you may still have media content located in an ├в iTunes Music├в sub-folder, and you probably don├в t want to waste time copying this content over if you├в ve already Consolidated it to another location, so you may want to exclude that one sub-folder.
Once you have copied the ├в iTunes├в folder, including the ├в iTunes Library.itl├в and any related support files and folders, simply restart iTunes while holding down the SHIFT key (Windows) or OPT key (Mac) and it will prompt you to either create a new library or choose a location for an existing library:

Simply click ├в Choose Library├в and browse for the location that you copied the iTunes folder to. I named mine "Master Library" and also created another for my wifes classical crap "Wench Library" these are in HPmedia\Music\iTunes Libraries\. iTunes should start, and will be using that particular library database instead of the one from the original location. Once you have set this location, iTunes will continue to use it unless you change it again via the same method.
Moving the iTunes library database onto an external hard drive can be useful if you plan to move the external hard drive between multiple computers. It can also be useful to store it in a common area on a local computer for access by multiple user profiles, or even on a network share.
One word of caution, however: The iTunes database is not designed for multi-user access. If you decide to place it on a network share or in a common directory on a standalone workstation, always make sure that you do not have more than one copy of iTunes running against it at a time, otherwise you will risk corrupting the iTunes database.

After completing this task able from my desktop or laptop to select the HPmedia\Music\iTunes Libraries\Master Library file

I am very displeased with iTunes it is one of the poorest applications i have ever used. The down side is no vendor has really stepped out there and challenged Apple with an application that is Free.

My next greatest problem cropped up when i began to inspect the mp3 files them selves on the Media vault. All of the content I let iTunes keep folders organized and copy files to Music folder.

TO MY HORROR there are 2, 3 , 4 and 5 copies of the same song in the folder. The name of the song is appended with a number.

I have now spent 12 hours today searching searching for an answer "Why iTunes creates duplicate songs". No real luck yet. I then began to search the internet for a freeware application to find and delete duplicates.

Again 12 more hours later not much luck...

I started trying manully deleteing these files however the 3000 origional songs now turned into 15,000 songs because of duplicates..... I kinda stopped this approach it was very slow and not effective.

I'lll update this if I discover any more information.