StoreEasy Storage

NAS 1000s - New drives / Upgarde to WSS 2003 / Which USB-DVD drive ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Azam Shad
Advisor

NAS 1000s - New drives / Upgarde to WSS 2003 / Which USB-DVD drive ?

I have a second hand NAS 1000s unit with 4x160gb Maxtor drives. I also had the restore DVD (windows 2000) with it.

I have a couple of issues, and replies from learned board members will be most gratefully received.

1. 2 of the 4 Maxtor drives have failed. I have spares but I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the capacity of them. There were two ways I was thinking of doing this;

a) Buy 4 x 320 gb Western Digital drives (more reliable) and replace the two failed drives. My thinking goes that the system would start a rebuild of the 6 gb C: drive mirrored over the 4 drives and just leave the remaing partition empty. Then I wouls swap out the other two drives and the system would rebuild on the two new ones. Then use something like partition magic if needed to resize the F: data partions upto maximum size.

b) Replace all 160 gb drives with 320 gb and just do a new reinstall of the operating system

2. Where can I get a DVD disk with WSS 2003 on it? The upgrade disk is apparently about £350 + VAT but is discontinued. HP suggested a UK supplier but they told me it was dropped a while ago. This makes it unlikely that anyone else has it in stock.

3. What type of USB- DVD drive should I get. It seems that only HP ones are recommended to work correctly with the NAS 1000s. Living in the UK, I checked dabs.com and they have this;

3TPZWS HP DVD 840e DVD+-R/RW 16x DL USB2 LightScribe Black.

Would this be compatible and if not, where can I get one in the UK which is?

Many thanks in advance of the answers.
13 REPLIES 13
Azam Shad
Advisor

Re: NAS 1000s - New drives / Upgarde to WSS 2003 / Which USB-DVD drive ?

Looks like question 3 has been answered by the above post. i.e. buy an external multibay enclosure and then buy or borrow a multibay dvd drive to sit inside it.

Any ideas on questions 1 & 2 though ?
Azam Shad
Advisor

I've answered part of question 1 myself. I replaced one of the failed drives today with a 120gb drive instead of 160gb and it replicated the C: drive nicely.

The remaining part of the drive is setup as a dynamic disk but obviously not mirrored across because it is a smaller size than the other 3 160gb drives.

I'm more confident now in ordering the 320gb drives and swapping the old ones out one by one.

I'll try the NAS 1200s restore disk once I buy the mutlibay and see if that works in upgrading from Server 2000. I did read an earlier post that a licence key is needed. We shall see.
Boris.N.NY
Advisor

Scenario 1a will not work as you have more than a single drive failed on a RAID5 without a hot spare - your system is not recovering by itself, and it is a full QuickRestore case for you. A mirror involves only 2 drives (or in NAS case - 2 partitions on 2 drives each), not 4 for all as you guessed before. That is applicable only to your Data partition, but you ain't booting from it. Your 1000s has 2 bootable OS partitions mirrored - Primary (Main Boot) and Recovery. The mirror copies are not presented to you in the INI file, but they are present on your system. You will see them in MMC under Disk Management after your restore the NAS from scratch. I'd say you need much more background homework done about RAID levels and rebuilding techniques in general before your start thinking about Partition Magic for a RAID as mixed up as on that NAS. Mixing different capacities and/or makes of drives in the same array is also a bad idea due to the fact of different mechanics of each individual drive (cache, seek time, RPMs, write time, etc., real basic stuff).

1b is on my list to do myself. I expect it to work, but I am not sure if QuickRestore has dynamic Data partition creation logic built in (all space that there is left available) or it validates a model before creating a pre-determined size per. I am hoping to have drives needed to be available within a week or so to commence.

Q.2 - donnow. The only comments about that I made earlier are here: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=999302 In US it is still occasionally listed in distribution as a special order item with ETA up to 2 weeks.
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (US Army)
Azam Shad
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Boris. I'll calrify the situation with the RAID array.

You are quite right in that when 2 drives are failed you've lost the data redundancy (and the data), but removing the failed drives allowed me to boot back into Win2000.

I then replaced the failed drives with two identical model and capacity types and rebuilt the RAID array, so that the boot partition was mirrored across 2 disks and the emergency boot partition was mirrored across the other two disks.

The next step was to delete the F: partition (430gb) which was mirrored across all 4 drives.

I then removed the first drive (drive 0) and inserted a lower capacity drive. Windows recognised a new drive had been inserted and said to reboot to allow the new hardware to work.

After the reboot, I used the NAS management console (essentialy disk manager) to remove the 'old' drive 0 from the drive list and told it to use the 'new' drive 0 and mirror the C: boot partition onto it.

Once this completed, the server rebooted okay from the 'new' drive 0, although obviously the remaining capacity of drive 0 was less than the other 'old' drives 1,2 and 3, so I am not able to create the F: partion across all 4 drives.

This experiment makes me confident that I can remove the old drives one at a time and mirror the operating system onto them. Once that is complete, the F: partion can be recreated to mirror across all identical drives.

The reason why I'd like to up the capacity is because the Maxtor drives seem (IMHO) unreliable and also I use the NAS as a media server. At the moment I can only get 95 dvd films on. With 4 x 320gb drives, that will increase to 275.

I take your point about partition magic. Any such software would have to be the server version which tend to be expensive, and expanding partition tables across a raid array may well turn out to be destructive.

I have the NAS 1200s restore disk and once I get the HP mutlibay and DVD drive, I'll post again if I can use this to reinstall the server with WSS 2003. Failing that, I'll use my original NAS 1000s Win 2000 DVD.
Azam Shad
Advisor

Okay, I've had the replacement hard drives in, Western Digital 320 gb instead of the Maxtor 160 gb.

I can report I successsfully upgraded the drive capacity of the NAS 1000s from 4x160 to 4x320 drives. Here's what I did.

I replaced drives 1 and 3 with the new 320gb and left drives 0 and 2 as the original drives with the o/s still on them.

On reboot, I used the NAS management tool and entered disk management. The wizard asked to write signatures onto the new disks.

I deleted the volumes on the missing disks and then deleted the disks themselves. I then selected the existing C: drive and told it to mirror the boot partition onto drive 1. A dialog box appeared saying that if I wanted to use that drive to boot from I would need to edit the boot.ini file, but later on when I rebooted, it worked okay.

Mirroring the C: drive was relatively quick. I did the same with the E: Drive. Once that was complete, I powered down the NAS and replaced drive 0 and 2. Unit rebooted okay, and I did the same delete and mirror on drives 0 and 1. I now had C and E drives mirrored as the original unit setup, but with 290gb free on each drive.

I then right clicked on the empty partition on drive 0 and selected create volume and set it up as RAID - 5. This took several hours, but after completion worked fine, and I now busy copying media files over to it.

I'm away for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I'll report on whether I can upgrade the NAS 1000s to WSS 2003 and if the multibay I bougt works to boot the NAS drive.
Duncan Gamble

Hi Azam,

Did you have any luck with this, specifically the WSS 2003 upgrade?

Thanks,

Duncan.
Azam Shad
Advisor

Hi. I was just about to type a long reply and realised I could have tried something different with the WSS 2003 attempted install. I'll give it another go tomorrow, but on first go, it failed.
Duncan Gamble

Great, I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

D.
Azam Shad
Advisor

I bought a second NAS 1000s drive to experiment with. Following posts from other users I bought the following DVD drive to use with the NAS 1000s from Dabs.com in the UK;

The item codes are below -

HP USB Multibay cradle mfr#DC373B £70.27
HP 8X DVD ROM multibay mfr#DC515B £81.25

which worked fine as boot device. On another post, a user has said they bought a much cheaper HP lightscribe external USB device, but didn't say if it worked. If it does, then getting the lightscribe would be a much cheaper solution and quicker to install from as the multibay is only 8x speed.

Received the Nas 1200 dvd from HP and tried booting up with 4 x 160gb blank drives (no o/s), but the DVD didn't boot. I had to change the BIOS setting to boot from dvd to make it work correctly. On reboot, the DVD drive fired up and began the install procdeure. On the install screen there was corruption across the top of the boot graphic, probably because it was the wrong install disc for the nas 1000s. It proceded to a screen saying an upgrade/regrade was necessary and would I like to continue. Pressed Q (I think) to continue.

Left it for some time to continue on it's own, but on my return the boot screen read;

'Failed to boot from all drives'. It wasn't until much later I realised this was because the NAS was set to boot from DVD. Resetting the BIOS to default values allowed the NAS to return to normal, but there was no working o/s installed.

Carried out the same procedure with the correct NAS 1000s DVD install disc. This proceeded perfectly without the need to change BIOS settings.

Install proceede fairly quickly, and on windows 2000 startup, a further automated install took over with a white screen and 4 checkboxes, with primary o/s setup, secondary o/s setup and some other options. As the auto install did it's thing, the NAS rebooted several times and when finally finished, the RAID 5 array began regenerating which took several hours.

The entire fresh install should really be carried out over 24 hours so allow plenty of time for it to complete.

I do have some other questions but will start a new thread for that. Thanks for all the replies so far.