8681 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS 1200 and NT4 Domains

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sam_124

NAS 1200 and NT4 Domains

Anyone now of any good resources for Win2003 and NT 4 domains?

I have the NAS 1200 and I'm trying to get it to work in an NT 4 Domain. So far I can creat shares and copy files but where is folder and file security for all my NT4 users????

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Re: NAS 1200 and NT4 Domains

Hi Sam .. I've seen the problem too. From an NT4 client, I cannot add an ACL to a file or folder on the NAS share. I get an error message: "The network path was not found." This appears to be the only limitation. I could view the ACLs, change permissions on existing ACLs, and remove an ACL. Inheritance of ACLs also appeared to be working. ACLs on files and folders on the NAS share to include adding ACLs appears to be working when network clients are W2K or XP. I could not duplicate the Add ACL error when the file server was a W2003 server (i.e., non-NAS). I could not find any references on Microsoft Support web site on this issue. Hope this sheds a little light!
CA1118839
Valued Contributor
Solution

I think this might solve the ACL issue for your 1200s in NT4 domain. Since Windows NT 4.0 domain architecture is different than win2k/win2k3 Active Directory domain architecture, a Remote Registry RPC call is done to access file share ACL permissions on the box. Set the Startup type for the Remote Registry service to: "Automatic" and ensure it is running. For security related reasons, HP set this service by default to "Manual". Microsoft sets it to "Automatic" by default for w2k3.
Sam_124

Hi Keith~

THANX! That definately did the trick! I was able to assign ACL's on shares and files for user's located on the NT4 Domain SAM database. Perfect!