1752600 Members
4539 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS 1200s & Solaris 9

CA1159859

NAS 1200s & Solaris 9

guys, i'm having a problem.

my NAS is connected directly to my Sun box. whenever, we transfer big files, the nas box will hang itself... following that, any attempts to shutdown the nas box will fail (basically after invoking the shutdown command, win2k3 will hang and just give the wallpaper blue screen.)

if we don't transfer any files, we're ok. any ideas? am wondering whether my problem is the same as a recent poster with a somewhat similar problem?

thanx.
kwan
7 REPLIES 7
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Hi kwan,

Sounds like the problem is similar to other recent 1200s performance postings. Can you give us an idea of the file sizes you are transfering to the 1200s which makes it hang?

Thanks!
CA1159859

no problem... in fact, yesterday i contacted HP and thankfully, since i haven't gone live yet, i could simulate the problem again!

transfer of 2.5meg file to mount drive - success.

transfer of 11.5meg file to mount drive - failed @ 5%.

no errors were generated from either sun or nas box. after which, any attempts to either reboot/shutdown BOTH boxes will end up in a hanging situation!!! basically, they hang at shutdown... sigh.

thanx
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Couple of additional thoughts:

Do you have most recent NFS updates from HP?
Go to the following link and request a free CD from HP which has the latest updates for 1200s (see NAS Service Release 2). Shippage is also free (takes 3-4 days Fedex instead of 6-8 weeks).

http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=NAS

Also, what client side mount options are you using and also any options you have chosen on the NAS server side
Client mount options:
- rsize, wsize
- async, sync
- other

NAS options:
- Async, sync
- NFS only
- other

What are the network connects? You say direct connect. Is it Gb on both ends?

Still trying to help.
CA1159859

1st of all, thanx for the continued assistance! :)

I have requested from HP to deliver the CD over... they say it will take abt 2-3 weeks to send over from US to Malaysia...

On the Client side, unfortunately i have no idea as this is set up by my vendor (and this is the 1st time they are encountering this problem!). I went through the /etc/mnttab - didn't find anything much helpful.

However, on the nas side:
By default, it is set to Sync.
It is using NFS v3

Just the other day, i changed the NAS Sync settings to Async. Problem seems to be solved in that i can transfer around 350megs! as compared to 5megs, and it hangs under Sync settings.
Could it possibly be that the Sun box is set to Async?

Thanx once again Keith. REally Appreciate this!
CA1159859

i have found out that the NAS should be set to async (NFS properties>NFS Transfer Settins) since my SOlaris 9 is using NFS v3 which natively supports async...

hope this would help other ppl who are facing more or less the same problem as me...
Peter Tuff

I've also experienced a similar problem. I have two sun boxes connected (running Solaris 8 and 9) to the nas. When I try FTPing to the nas using either sun box, the nas becomes unavailable and hangs. Note, the nas doesn't hang immediatley, after beginning the FTP it usually takes a few minutes to hang.

Is it worth changing the nas mount settings to async (assuming the nas mount is currently set to sync)?

Thanks,

Pete

CA1159859

Peter,

Solaris 9 OE by default already is using Async. Something which i found out the hard way. And the NAS box is using Sync settings. 1 of them has to change... Personally, changing the NAS box was easier for me!!! :)

Am not too sure abt Solaris 8, but i think it's using Sync by default.

Oh yeah, get the SR2 from HP. Some ppl say that'll solve the problem instead of changing the Sync/Async settings...