1748180 Members
4006 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS 1500 restore impossible

BR825616
Occasional Advisor

NAS 1500 restore impossible

On my new NAS 1500 I try to restore the whole NAS with the restore DVD. on botting it say "No valid SATA-Controller found..."

Any Ideas?

Dirk
9 REPLIES 9
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

Dirk,

Things to check:
-- Was the 1500s ever running? e.g. did the SATA card work previously?
-- Where does the "No valid SATA Controller found├в ┬ж" come up? During BIOS or during the QuickRestore process?
-- Make sure the SATA controller is installed.
-- Try to reseat the SATA controller in the PCI slot.
-- Make sure all the SATA cables are connected firmly to the SATA controller.

If you get it up and running, check the SATA controller FW .. should be 7244. This will also show during boot.

To get the controller FW, go to:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/AAR-2410SA&filekey=aar2410sa_fw_v7244.e
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

Keith,

teh Nas was running well. It was a restore-test before the nas becomes data.

The SATA card works
The message "no valid sata.." comes up at the beginning of the restore process
controller IS installed ;-), bios and HHDs are shown, so all cabels and the controller must be connected, FW is 7244

Tomorrow a HP support-technican arrives and he will change the whole NAS. Hope it helps!

thanks
Dirk
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

Keith,

HP support was there, changed the whole NAS, same problem, restore not possible.

dirk
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

I could not duplicate the recovery issue and the "No valid SATA-Controller found" error. I used a NAS 1500s Quick Recovery Disc ordered from HP (it was free as well as the shippage). Everything recovered okay on the 1500s. Here is the link:
http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=NAS
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

keith,

thanks, I will try to get one of these DVDs. I tried the recovery with the DVD shipped with the nas and I also believe something is wrong with that DVD, but it's label correct.

Dirk
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

Keith,

another questions:
Have you destroyed all arrays before starting restore? This should simulates two broken harddisk at the same time.

I like to user another configuration that is not supported by HP. I 'd like to make 1 Raid 5 array with 3 disks and have the 4th as a hot spare. I tried this with a normal W2003 Server standart installation, but from time to time the systems reboots and go in a "fail state". I think it's the NIC-driver, but it's the newest I can get from Intel.

Have you any experience with that configuration? Is it possible to do this with the restore DVD?

Dirk
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

StorageWorks NAS link for further information.

Dirk,
Using the restore disc, the install process on the 1500s should/will rebuild the OS disks. The install will re-create the 2 mirrored OS disks and the RAID 5 disk.

Q: What is the current config of the drives on your 1500s? If it has a config, delete all logical disks using the Adaptec boot bios (get into it during the boot sequence) and then try the QR disk.

To change the RAID set AFTER the install:
1. Stop the verify on the RAID 5 disk
2. Delete the RAID 5 logical drive
3. Re-create the RAID 5 logical drive as you require (3 disks + hotspare)
Note: This RAID config has not been tested. It should work with no problems.

Also, the default caching setting is Write Enabled (write-back). With no battery backed cache this is a dangerous setting for data integrity.
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

Keith,

I try a normal W2003 Server on RAID 5 with one Hot Spare and ist works on that nas. But therefore I need a new w2003 license...
At the moment I am waiting for the new DVD that comes from Manchester /USA. Hope it arrives this week.
I have tried several SATA-Configs, the original 2x R1 +1x R5, empty disks with no raid and so on, same problem. The newest "feature" is: when I put my fingers on the case, the nas switch off ! Touching again, switch it on again. (The whole NAS was changed once by HP)

Yes, I can destroy the raid 5 from original config, but there are 2 raid 1 (one over HDD 1+2, the other over 3+4) so I can build a raid 5 with disks 1-3, but cannot user disk 4 as hot spare because it's not empty.

Dirk
BR825616
Occasional Advisor

Keith,
today the new DVD arrives from HP, same problem, "no supported SATA-raidcontroller found"

dirk