1747988 Members
4965 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS 4000 compatible with Linux?

CA789823
Occasional Contributor

NAS 4000 compatible with Linux?

Can SuSE linux servers utilize the HP NAS devices such as the 2000 or 4000?
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I think all NAS's had the Services for Unix installed and/or available for installation.

I believe the answer is yes, though if you're not familiar with MS SfU, you might have some grief setting it up to talk to your linux environment.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

David,

Microsoft Services for NFS comes pre-installed on the 2000s/4000s. You should have no problem creating an NFS share on the NAS and mounting the share with your SuSE linux servers. We run Redhat linux clients in the lab with the 2000s/4000s .. no issues.

See the NAS Admin Guide or select NAS Management MMC located on the desktop, expose File Sharing folder, right click on Microsoft Services for Network File System, select Help for additional information.
CA789823
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the info so far but what about iSCSI? Can the Linux server talk to the NAS directly via iSCSI ?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The NAS is not a "storage Subsystem" nor an iscsi router. Usually, you would talk iSCSI directly to your storage over your regular network or via an iSCSI router.

The NAS is a front end Storage Server... it would be like an iSCSI Storage Router, it allows other hosts to use the available storage subsystem's available storage via the regular network.

The NAS presents the storage as shares in a windows network, NFS shares in unix, etc.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

NAS (Network Attached Storage) is about sharing files (usually) over a LAN.

iSCSI is about transfering SCSI commands over an IP infrastructure. SCSI is about blocks of data, not files.
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi David,

With the new iSCSI feature pack available for the NAS servers, the 2000s/4000s platforms can function as an iSCSI target. Unfortunately, the linux initiator is not the top priority for HP (Micrsoft and HP-UX). While we can not say it will not work there is some uncharted teritory that you will be working through. I expect that in the next 3 months we will have tested an iSCSI initiator on Linux.
CA789823
Occasional Contributor

OK, are you guys running for office or working in IT? :) "joking"

From what I can discern, the HP NAS line is a low cost "alternative" to a traditional SAN. In addition to providing vanilla file sharing via Windows storage server, the HP NAS devices also have an optional iSCSI feature pack as noted here >>
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/inas/index.html
It is my understanding that the iSCSI feature pack enables block level reads/writes to from the NAS device, which allows products such as SQL or Exchange server to be installed on any standard server and then store their databases on the NAS device instead of the local server Drives. With this in mind, I'm simply trying to confirm whether this same functionality is capable to/from Linux as well as Windows?

Thanks!

Dave
CA789823
Occasional Contributor

Jon Paul,

My last post was submitted before I read your response. That's the info I was looking for!

Thanks!!

Dave
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that.... the web site also states...

question: Can I install iSCSI Feature Pack on one of HP's NAS/SAN gateway products (HP StorageWorks NAS 4000s or 9000s)?
answer: No, it is licensed only for use on HP standalone NAS products (HP StorageWorks NAS 500s, NAS 1200s, NAS 1500s, and NAS 2000s) running Microsoft Windows Storage Server (WSS) 2003.

So for now, the 4000 is a no go, while the 2000 is a "good-to-go". I would expect that they might include the 4000 in a later release, but not likely according to their statements.

SC
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE