StoreEasy Storage
1748072 Members
5484 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS Storageworks 2000s

Phil M Leadore

NAS Storageworks 2000s

We have a 2000s that has two external scsi cages attached to it... I believe the cages are MSA 30s. The front end hardware is a DL380 G4 with two mirrored drives in it running Windows 2003 Appliance edition pre-SP1.

Due to the warranty expiring soon and some other hardware issues we've had with the current DL380, we'd like to replace the front end. Looking at the website, I see there's a DL380 G5 Storage Server that would attach to a MSA20 or 30. Is it possible to connect our existing cages and retain the data that's on the drives? Has anyone gone through this process in the past?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Phil,
Take your SmartArray 6402/4 and your MSA30 JBODs and your data drives will show up on the new system. You will have to make sure that you update the 6402 driver. Always make sure you have a known good backup.
The base DL380G5 Storage Server comes with only the 2 OS HDDs. It has the PCI-X riser card by default.
Hope this helps
Phil M Leadore

Great, thanks for the feedback. One other question, do you (or anyone) know if the Windows file/folder permissions would remain? I understand that I would need to recreate the shares but thought the folder permissions would stick... although not certain. Currently doing some research on it now but if anyone has any info on this topic, please let me know.

Thanks,
Phil