1753854 Members
7215 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS1200S Fails to Start

Skinny Puppy

NAS1200S Fails to Start

HELP!

I've come in to work to swap some backup tapes over and decided to run some updates on our NAS1200S box as there are no staff here.

After installing Windows 2003 SP1, I'm now unable to restart it.

At the logon promt I get the following message:

The server you are running cannot run storage works NAS software properly. You may be in violation of your license agreement.

It then says something about contacting HP (who like the staff here are on holiday until Tuesday) and blue screens.

I tried restarting in safe mode to see if I can disable storage works in any way, but it just re-boots itself after a minute or two.

Please help!!
6 REPLIES 6
BR764657
Advisor

You cannot install MS service packs like normal you must use the HP service releases which include all MS updates, service packs etc. I am not sure how you get out of jail but would suggest using the system rebuild CD then resoring data.

Sorry cant be of more help.
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Skinny,
There is a fix which does not require you to re-image the system. The fix requires you to boot in SAFE MODE and run an executable. Call HP Support to obtain the executable.
Skinny Puppy

Thanks for your comments gents, but I actually managed to sort the problem out soon after I posted this question.

I found a post with a couple of guys elsewhere (though I can't find it again now!) who were experiencing the exac same issue.

One of them had attached a script they had been sent from HP that made a change in the registry after installing SP1. I managed to get in using safe mode just long enough to run the script and it did the job!
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Glad to hear everything is Ok now. The script from HP was only intended as a temporary solution until Service Release 5.5 was installed. By not following the script run with a service release update, it may be possible that this system will not be recognized as a HP NAS system for future updates.
Michal Slama

Does someone have the link to the script program, I am having the same issue. Thanks
Carlos Sanches
Occasional Advisor

Does someone have the link to the script program, I am having the same issue.
I alread contact HP support and then will send me a CD, but I need to resolve the problem quickly.

Thanks.