StoreEasy Storage

NIC drivers for NAS 9000S

Andy M (BLT)

NIC drivers for NAS 9000S

I've been told that the NIC drivers for a NAS 9000S server are not the same as for Windows 2003 Server. I need up-to-date drivers for NC7170 and NC7771 NICs on NAS 9000S. Can anyone clarify? Once they're set up I want to team them and connect them to the network via separate switches. Any advice in this area would also be gratefully received.
5 REPLIES 5
Boris.N.NY
Advisor

Re: NIC drivers for NAS 9000S

Andy, the statement in your first sentence is not true. The onboard Intel 82546EB chipset in 9000S (aka NC7170) is the same as the one in HP server option card of the same model and will work off the same HP-provided driver. The only driver difference between HP NAS Storage Server OS and generic built into Win2003 Server I know of is it's version - NAS Storage Server OS may come with an older driver. The most recent driver is downloadable from HP - you just needed to do a search for it using a specific NIC model on HP Support & Drivers (grey) tab in the top part of this very web page.

So driver for NC7170 (v8.6.11.0 cp005499.exe) would be accessible from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/locate/69_5905.html, and driver for NC7771 (aka Broadcom 5703 chipset, v.8.39.1.0, cp005567.exe) would be on http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/locate/69_5909.html. Broadcom itself already has v.8.48 available (http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php). I guess HP will put it up soon too.

Both HP pages have a link to the same HP Network (teaming) Configuration Utility. Depending on your system's present drivers you may get an error attempting to install HP teaming utility for the first time saying to the effect "..utility is not supported". In this case download a full ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23837.html) and run it to install both system management controller drivers, utility itself and applicable NIC drivers all in one shot. Most likely there would be other things installed picked up from PSP. Full Support Pack is about 77 MB. Surely drivers only would be much less.
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (US Army)
Boris.N.NY
Advisor

Correction: copy-paste and edit the URL's that refused to work - the web page included punctuation into the link.
Andy M (BLT)

Thanks very much for the reply.
I've now been told that I should start off with HP Storage Server Service Release 5.6, which has (or at least has links to) the latest supported drivers for the 9000S. Even though the drivers for the NICs may be the same regardless of whether we're using standard 2003 or WSS 2003, there's likely to be a delay before any new driver version is supported on the latter.
Trouble is, the Service Release is only available on DVD, and could take "2-8 weeks" to be delivered to the UK! I'm checking if I can get my hands on one from HP locally.
Meanwhile I'll download the PSP, which we'll need on our other Proliant servers, even if it's not supported on the 9000S.
Thanks again.
Boris.N.NY
Advisor

Well, that is a good practical suggestion but it works for a different purpose and not for your initial question at hand. SR 5.6 does not update hardware drivers, only WSS OS and WebUI. The confusion probably comes from general experience with regular online Windows Update and HP Support Packs, where you will get an offer of newer drivers if any, but in my understanding SR 5.6 is not designed to do it, and NAS is not designed to be using regular Microsoft online update. "Online Update" button in HP NAS Updater (gets installed with SR 5.6) covers only OS/WebUI updates and patches distributed by HP itself checked against mounted DVD media content. And it will apply the same SR 5.6 over itself (without erroring out) if you click on it again with DVD still in the drive (!).

Today I did exactly that (Quick Restore, not on purpose) with an RB 1000s I've received earlier in the week. 2003 Quick Restore DVD (pre-2003 SP1) has put proper Broadcom BCM57xx series driver in v.6.64, then SP1 has changed nothing, and so did SR 5.6. I had to manually upgrade NIC drivers on primary and secondary OS's after I was done with this little lab study. I would believe that your 9000s behaves the same way.

As far as the SR DVD distribution goes, HP had been quite quick delivering my orders in the States. The transit time notice was up to 10 business days (or something like it), and I've been getting them in like 3 days. Can't complain. For you I'd suggest to try using "electronic re-download" option link (upper left hand corner on DVD description/order page) once you've made the online order for (postal) DVD delivery. May be your ISP will not suffer downloading something like 2.4GB worth of data overnight.
Andy M (BLT)

That gives me plenty to go on - thanks. Once I've got the supported drivers installed and working I'll post the versions I used here (just in case anyone's interested).