5720 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4300 Snaphot Backups via iSCSI

David Strydom
Occasional Advisor

P4300 Snaphot Backups via iSCSI

Hi there,

We have a cluster of 2 P4300 4TB iSCSI NAS devices. We have a variety of servers using the NAS, both linux and windows. What I am trying to figure out is how to backup data directly from a snapshot on the NAS.

We have a MS Server 2003 running Backup Exec 12 if that helps.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
David
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The P4300 is an iSCSI "SAN" (it serves disk blocks, not files). A snapshot looks like a "photocopy" of the filesystem on the iSCSI volume. You can make changes to the original, but they do not appear on the snapshot.

If you present the snapshot to the backup server, it can pick up the Windows NTFS filesystems, but it will not understand the Linux filesystem.
David Strydom
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response, for the NTFS machines, do you know how I would get the backup server to mount the latest snapshot automatically so it can become part of the dialy backups.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Windows has a framework for this called the Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS). One of the features is called a "transportable snapshot". I don't now if Backup Exec supports that mechanism. If not, it should be possible to work around this with the VSS SDK.
David Strydom
Occasional Advisor

Thanks I will have a play with this. In the meantime does anyone know how I would do the same for linux.

Thanks
David
peyrache
Respected Contributor

for linux you can use a product called Storage Mirorring
JYP