1748022 Members
4836 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL100 new hard drives

Jeff Foster
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL100 new hard drives

Okay I have a plain old HP Prolian DL100 network storage device with 4 x 160GB SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 hard drives in it (6Y160M0).

The 640GB of space just is not cutting it anymore for backup storage. I know there are 200GB Plus 9 drives, 300GB Plus 10 drives.

Can someone tell me what the largest drives that I can possibly put in this server? I can't find any specs on this.
7 REPLIES 7
peyrache
Respected Contributor

DL100 250GB
DL100G2 500GB

JYP
Jeff Foster
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for a response.
DL100 250GB
DL100G2 500GB

So does this mean that I can put any 500GB drives in here.

I'm going to have to rebuild the system if I replace all four hard drives.

I read that the recovery DVD requires Maxtor hard drives because of the geometry of them.

peyrache
Respected Contributor

yes any maxtor 500GB disk drive
JYP
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

I've successfully used Seagate 500GB drives in my DL100 and I've rebuilt it using the Quick Restore DVD with no problems. I actually have two appliances, one is fitted with the original ES Barracuda drives and the other is fitted with the latest ES.2 Barracudas. The ES series is Seagate's enterprise class SATA drives and are probably about the best on the market for reliability.
Neil Carpenter
Occasional Advisor

I'm currently playing the same game with a vanilla DL100. I put four 1T Western Digital Green Power drives into the unit, and whilst the RAID controller recognises the capacity and the Quick Restore Disc creates the operating system partitions fine, it seems to have a problem with the unused space,and cites the 2T limit. (It seemed to create a 300-odd partition, but I deleted it to try for a larger size).

It will allow a 1.8T RAID 10 partition, which implies that 500G drives should work.

The Adaptec SATA controller is at build 7244, anhd there is a later Adaptec file - haven't tried an update yet.

The unit is currently running four Maxtor 250G, with 2003 R2 (RAID 5 675G partition).
peyrache
Respected Contributor

hello
according quickspecs DL100G2 has maximum data partition size for 2T so quickrestore
can only restore with 2T partitions size of DATA
best is to install W2K3 R2 without quick restore in order to regain full size of partitions
JYP
Jeff Foster
Occasional Advisor

It's been awhile since I have done this, so I don't remember how I did it exactly. I believe that I replaced my drives one a time, letting the machine rebuild the raid between each drive. This was a very slow process since the drives were full of backups. I didn't want to lose my backup software installation that was already on the machine. However, I had to blow away the data partition in order to expand it's capacity, this made the whole process pointless since I had to do a new installtion of my backup software any ways. I now have my two OS drives of about 9GB and a 1.28TB data partition. MUCH better than what I had earlier.