1752626 Members
4838 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-sizing disk

CA1077658
Occasional Contributor

Re-sizing disk

Does anyone already re-partitioning the RAID 5 sytem file.
I would like to make at least 2 raid 5 partition instead of just having a big one.
Does anyone get trouble in doing this ?
Do you have recommandation ??
4 REPLIES 4
CA986713
Honored Contributor

Re: Re-sizing disk

In my opinion, the best repartitioning tool is Partition Magic from Power Quest (now, Symantec). They're still using PQ's old website though, so you can go to http://www.powerquest.com for more information.

I've repartitioned many times without incident. If you're making partitions smaller however, it should go without saying that you can't reduce the size of the existing partition smaller than the amount of data that's stored there. However, assuming you have sufficient free space in the partition, PM will easily do what you're wanting to do.
No thanks necessary... Just leave me points. :P
CA1077658
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.
I will just precise my question to see if repartioning will resolve my problem.
In fact, I get a power failure on NAS with 40 Go of data on the 300 Go raid5 sytem file.
It takes 3 hours to verify my files. But it is a production server and I can't stop it for 3 hours. And I do not want to grant access to the files before the reconstruction is complete.
So that's why I want to make a smaller partition (10 Go) where I will put my production files (500 Mo). And another bigger partition with lesser important data.
Will the reconstruction of the RAID5 will be faster on my small partition ?
Do I have to make 2 RAID5 volume or do I have to make 2 partitions in one RAID5 volume.
(I have some ideas but I want to confront them with yours ;) )
CA986713
Honored Contributor

Reducing the volume size MIGHT reduce the time it takes to perform your reconstruction. It really depends on whether that reconstruction is at the partition or file level. If at the file level, the partition size won't make any difference. Still, partitioning off your critical data will allow you to grant access to everything else while you're reconstructing... not a bad idea.

There are many ways to set this up. You can make one RAID set with one logical drive, with two partitions... or one RAID set with two logical drives, each with one partition. There are pros and cons to each, but in the end, they're both about equal.

You shouldn't make two RAID sets, since you "lose" a drive for parity with each RAID set. For example, with six 9GB drives, one raid set will result in about 45GB of usable space (5 data drives, plus one drive used for parity), while two raid sets will result in two drives of 18GB each (2 data drives, plus one drive for parity on each RAID set), or a total of 36GB.

I also need to correct myself... Partition Magic is only for desktop operating systems. The server equivalent is called Volume Manager. Here's a link: http://www.powerquest.com/volumemanager
No thanks necessary... Just leave me points. :P
CA1077658
Occasional Contributor

thanks again.
I am talking about NAS1000S from HP (or compaq ;) ).
The RAID 5 is a software RAID5 created with windows.
So I think It's the same (for disk capacity) to use 2 raid 5 volume or 1 raid 5 volume with 2 partitions in it.

But I don't know witch ones is the best solution for a fast recovery of my production data.