1748117 Members
3640 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Server 2003 File Screening User notification

CA1077337
Advisor

Storage Server 2003 File Screening User notification

I have setup file screening to prevent MP3's from being stored. I have also created a message to be displayed to users when they try to copy an .mp3 file. The problem is that I am not having my message displayed, instead I receive the message that is shown in the attached screenshot. "test" was the name of the file that I was trying to copy.

any ideas as to why my message doesn't show? Am I not using the correct syntax?

thanks.

Mark
6 REPLIES 6
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

You need to have NetBios pop-ups enabled to be able to use the custom alerts.
CA1077337
Advisor

thanks. That solved part of my problem.

If I am logged into my storage server, I see the pop-ups without a problem and will still see the "out of disk space" message on my local machine. If I am just logged into my local machine only, I just see the "out of disk space" message.

I have Alerter/Messenger service started, NetBIOS enabled for my NIC. Is there anything else that I would need to configure to be able to see the pop-ups? They don't do a whole lot of good just displaying to the console.

thanks.

Mark
CA1095986

Hi,

I am trying to apply close to what you did already achieved for the MP3 file screening but I cannot get it to work properly, did you follow any instructions? I created a group that exclude .mp3, then created policy that uses that group and attached it to a task but I can still copy MP3 file.

So I am looking for documentation on how to configure the file screening properly.

Thanks.

Steve.
CA1077337
Advisor

Try these steps to see if you can get it to work.

1) Create a group containing the files that you want to screen against. Once the group is created you'll need to go into the properties and add the extensions to screen against under "Unauthorized files"

2) Create a policy containing the group you just created. Again, you will go into the Policy's properties and pick your group from "Available Groups" and add it to "Select Groups"

3) Click on the "Alarm" Tab in the side bar to have the pop-up message display.

4) On the File Screening Main Page, click "New..." to run the wizard to apply your new policy to the directories you need to.

Mark
CA1095986

Thanks Mark,

When you specify your directory, do you use as an example the c:\ format or simply c:?

I did follow your recommended steps before this posting but it still did not work.

Thanks.

Steve
CA1095986

Never mind I found my problem, I was, in the group, using .mp3 instead of *.mp3. I t works fine now.

Thanks.

Steve