1748215 Members
3505 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Server 2003 Storage Reports

CA1077337
Advisor

Storage Server 2003 Storage Reports

Is there a way to have storage reports saved to a destination folder or share as opposed to just having them e-mailed?

thanks

Mark
7 REPLIES 7
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

When I go into the Storage Reporting tab, select one of the reports, and go into Properties, one of the tabs if for the format type. I can choose TXT or HTML. I choose one and click "OK".

Then when I add a share, drive, directory, etc., into the report list, I can click on the "Run Report" button.

At that point, with the TXT file, I have the option to "Open" or "Save" the file (popup dialog box from IE). With HTML, it opens a separate browser window with the report (which I can then do a File, Save As, or right click and Save As).

Are these the procedures you are following?
CA1077337
Advisor

Kevin,

I actually need to give you more points than what I did. Is there a way to do that?

I was able to get the HTML piece to work without a problem. When I set the format to Text and run the report, I am receiving the "cannot find server error" within IE. This will appear after the browser is processing something after I click "run report"

any ideas on why the test format is failing?

Mark
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure how to address the points issue.

Interesting that you're having a problem with the TXT. I was able to run both that and HTML with no problems in the lab.

Let me research for a bit, and see if I can reproduce it, or think of/discover why that might be happening.
CA1077337
Advisor

Just one thing to add. The report is being run against a ~250GB volume that's SAN attached. I am using the NAS2000s as a Gateway device.
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Eeep! You do realize that this is not a supported configuration, right?

In any case, I wouldn't think the SAN connection would be the problem, since the reports run fine on a non-clustered 4000S and 9000S. But I will have to check to see if there are some settings or configurations that are different.
CA1077337
Advisor

I didn't realize that it was not supported. whoops. That won't prohibit me from getting support for the device will it?

I will say that it has been working quite well. We are using the NAS2000s to consolidate file servers. I'm using all the local storage for shadow copies and then SAN attaching disk space for all the shares that it hosts.

Mark
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Yes, unfortunately, you will not be able to get support from HP while you are using SAN LUNs on the device. The only supported configuration with connection to the SAN is for backup over the SAN.

The issue is not a technical one (as you have discovered for yourself). Rather, the issue is a contractual one.

HP's OS license for the 2000S is only for DAS (direct attached storage). It is in violation of HP's license with Microsoft (and consequently, your license with HP and Microsoft), to run the server in this configuration.

As such, Microsoft would not support you with any calls for OS support or problems. And HP cannot support the OS by itself (i.e. we cannot write OS security patches, maintain our own updates site, etc.), so HP cannot support that configuration either.

We also didn't qualify that configuration (for reasons mentioned above), so we don't know for a fact that you won't experience problems. I don't think the problems you are seeing are the result of SAN connection, but we don't have any experience with that configuration either.