StoreEasy Storage

StorageWorks NAS S1000

CA1120609

StorageWorks NAS S1000

I have "inhereted" a S1000 NAS, and it was wiped somehow before I got it. Unfortunatly, it seems to have lost it's SmartStart/QuickStart CD and all documentation. I searched all HP for somewhere to buy or download the images, but no luck. Some other forum items talk about the 1000S model, but not this one. Also, I can see from the HP site that there is an upgrade path to WSS2003, but the link leads to nowhere. What are my options in this area?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Re: StorageWorks NAS S1000

Hey Robert,

There is no upgrade path for this hardware.
CA1120609

Ok, so I can't upgrade.

I did manage to find out how to reload the system from the Microsoft end, but I can't get any info about how to boot from a CD other than in the NAS menu, turn off the Watchdog option (whatever that does). I tried setting the boot to be the Secondary Master (where my CD is connected), but it never finds the bootable disk.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be extremely grateful. Or if someone has access to the QuickStart CD that I could get a copy of, I would be even more grateful!

Thank you

Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hey Robert,

I was directed to this site. Unfortunately it does not have the S100o image available yet. But we have requested it be presented. It looks like it would be legal to get you a copy so if this does not get updated quickly we can find another option.

http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=NAS

CA1201010
Occasional Advisor

Did you every get the cd I could use one also since it doesnt seem to be on that page.
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Brian,

Sorry to say, the support plan was not as I had anticipated.
The product was an OEM from another company, the support plan was an entire swap out if anything happened to the either the OS or the system hardware. Therefore, no QuickRestore CD ever existed for this product.
You will need to contact HP support person for what your options are for this product support.
Sorry to mislead you and Robert.
CA1120609

Thanks for the responses.

I think this NAS server was first sold by Quantum or the like. In the end I just used the key that I had on the case and reloaded Windows 2000 OEM, along with the NAS kit supplied by MS.

It was cheap, and as long as it works, I am happy.

CA1201010
Occasional Advisor

I found out since I made the post this morning. That this unit was made by maxtor it is pretty much the same as a maxtor 4300.

I tried reloading the os on mine and it keeps rebooting unless I disable the watchdog service in the nas cmos config.

So now I will have to figure out what software it needs to prevent the fail over with the watchdog timer.

Thanks